Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 15:15:22
Print Post

ADSL2+ Speeds

[link to this post]

I apologize if this is not posted in the right place. I moved to ADSL2+ nearly 4 weeks ago. Since then I had tried 3 routers and every socket (including the Test socket) in the house. My connection is now stable - apart from a daily disconnect initiated automatically by my router between 6 and 7 am - and has been for the past 8 days. Over the past month my router stats - irrespective of router - have remained in the range of LA16, SNR 13 to 14 downstream and LA7 and SNR 6 upstream. The stats are recorded hourly by my current router as are losses of synchronization, errors etc. My current IP profile is 7150/915 and the BT Speedtest is showing a connection of 8865 and 915 with speeds of between 7512 and 6653 - and 740. I have also paced the house with a radio set to 610 and found no major sources of interference. My question is a simple one. If my line remains stable over a period of time (? how long) will the BT monitoring system automatically apply a SNR reduction/profile increase or am I just stuck with what I have got? I live about 0.95Kms from my exchange. Thanks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 25-Mar-11 15:19:22
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ Speeds

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lexden16:
a daily disconnect initiated automatically by my router between 6 and 7 am - and has been for the past 8 days
Why is your router disconnecting every day? This will be seen as instability by the BT profiling system used by IDNET and will damage your profile.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 15:37:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

A daily internet disconnection is standard on Fritz!Box routers and AVM support has confirmed in an e-mail to me that (a) it cannot be turned off, (b) the user can select a time for the disconnect to occur (I have chosen 6 to 7am) and (c) there is no loss of ADSL synchronisation as a result. The system log shows that the router has remained ADSL enabled since installation and there is no loss of synchronisation shown in the DSL statistics. That said, the system log does record that there was a brief disconnection at 06.52 am this morning. I know no more but I have been told not to worry. Fritz!Boxes are used widely across Europe, and now in Australia, and I do not see any users complaining about this particular issue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Mar-11 19:46:44
Print Post

A daily internet disconnection is standard on Fritz!Box routers and AVM support has confirmed in an e-mail to me that (a) it cannot be turned off, (b) the user can select a time for the disconnect to occur (I have chosen 6 to 7am) and (c) there is no loss of ADSL synchronisation as a result. The system log shows that the router has remained ADSL enabled since installation and there is no loss of synchronisation shown in the DSL statistics. That said, the system log does record that there was a brief disconnection at 06.52 am this morning. I know no more but I have been told not to worry. Fritz!Boxes are used widely across Europe, and now in Australia, and I do not see any users complaining about this particular issue.
So why is your SNR 13 to 14 downstream?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 20:53:20
Print Post

I wish I knew. It rose to that level with my first box (a Netgear DGN3300v2) as a result of frequent disconnections from the internet. As far as the router was concerned everything was OK: ie, the DSL light was illuminated and the router log was not showing any disconnections. When I rang Support all they could tell me was that the router had initiated a disconnection! The only way that I could get the internet back was to turn the router off and on. The loan router (a DGN1000) held a steadish connection but the LA and SNR were broadly as they are now. The Fritzbox has now been synchronised for over a week as my daily stats push e-mail shows:

Product name FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390
Firmware version 84.04.88
WLAN active, WPA + WPA2
WLAN guest access inactive
Call diversion inactive
Anrufe sperren inactive
Night service active
Port forwarding inactive
Power consumption 31 %
Last restart 16.03.2011 13:05
DSL Information

Aktuelle Datenrate 8865 kbit/s (receive direction) 915 kbit/s (send direction)
Line attenuation 16 dB (receive direction) 6 dB (send direction)
Störabstandsmarge 14 dB (receive direction) 7 dB (send direction)
DSL version 1.68.16.14
DSL status active since 07:02:46:21
DSL-Vermittlungsstelle Infineon 7.27.9

What I do not understand is why with the line stability that I have at the moment the BT system is not tweaking my SNR downwards? IDNet think that I may have a bad line - whatever that means.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 26-Mar-11 21:50:04
Print Post

What I do not understand is why with the line stability that I have at the moment the BT system is not tweaking my SNR downwards? IDNet think that I may have a bad line - whatever that means.
Only IDNET know what that means. I heard they were the best ISP in the world crazy

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Mar-11 11:43:39
Print Post

Oh come on stop spreading falsehoods.

A single disconnect each day will NOT cause damage to the profile as in raising target noise margin.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Mar-11 11:45:00
Print Post

IDNet may be saying bad line, because the wholesale systems have it marked as such from the period of instability.

Ask them for a target noise margin reset, since you have now removed the flaky hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Sun 27-Mar-11 13:31:08
Print Post

In fairness to IDNet, they have been extremely helpful in terms of their free customer support. My question was based primarily on my lack of understanding about ADSL2+ SNR, LA and speeds. If the BT system is quick enough to lower the profile after what it sees as a lack of line stability (ie; frequent internet disconnects) then why does it not react in a reverse way? Some ISP forums suggest that line stability over time will result in an upwards re-profiling - but this can take days and even weeks. IDNet have offered to lower the SNR but they would like me to use the BT test socket which could not have been more inconveniently sited. I am reluctant to dismantle my present router set up which includes phones etc when the results of using the test socket a couple of weeks ago were less than conclusive.

I appreciate that some broadband users may wonder why am I bothering with consistent speeds such as these:

Today 09:39 6927 kbps (866kB/s) 768 kbps (96kB/s)
Friday 21:39 6927 kbps (866kB/s) 772 kbps (96.5kB/s)
Friday 07:09 7014 kbps (877kB/s) 773 kbps (96.6kB/s)
Thursday 18:47 7011 kbps (876kB/s) 770 kbps (96.3kB/s)
Thursday 18:06 7043 kbps (880kB/s) 767 kbps (95.9kB/s)
Thursday 10:31 6925 kbps (866kB/s) 771 kbps (96.4kB/s)
Wednesday 17:54 6931 kbps (866kB/s) 772 kbps (96.5kB/s)
Wednesday 10:18 6928 kbps (866kB/s) 772 kbps (96.5kB/s)
Tuesday 19:25 6930 kbps (866kB/s) 750 kbps (93.8kB/s)
Tuesday 07:12 6927 kbps (866kB/s) 771 kbps (96.4kB/s)
Mar 21, 20:10 6928 kbps (866kB/s) 772 kbps (96.5kB/s)
Mar 21, 20:02 6926 kbps (866kB/s) 772 kbps (96.5kB/s)
Mar 21, 19:34 6511 kbps (814kB/s) 755 kbps (94.4kB/s)
Mar 21, 19:00 6924 kbps (866kB/s) 769 kbps (96.1kB/s)
Mar 21, 18:55 6929 kbps (866kB/s) 773 kbps (96.6kB/s)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 27-Mar-11 13:52:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Oh come on stop spreading falsehoods.

A single disconnect each day will NOT cause damage to the profile as in raising target noise margin.
I was looking for an answer to this question, not "spreading falsehoods"
So why is your SNR 13 to 14 downstream?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to