Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Troff
(newbie) Mon 25-Apr-11 08:38:24
Print Post

ADSL Max or ADSL2+?

[link to this post]

A recent move to ADSL2+ has not been a great success. I have had a connection rate as high as 11955/888 (IP1000) but over the past 5 days this has reduced to 9943/1023 (IP8000). We live about 1Km from the exchange and my current line stats are Down SNR17/LA15 and Up SNR 7/LA10. I have removed ring wires, fitted a new filtered faceplate and my router is connected to the master socket. (Initially, my IP jumped from 7000 to 10000 shortly after the filtered faceplate was fitted).

There seems to be no pattern to the ADSL disconnects which occur about once every 2 days at random times: ie, the last one was at 7.16pm last night. The previous one was at 8.28am the previous day. As my ADSL Max profile was a steady 8128 for months on end, should I ask my ISP for a service reversion?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 25-Apr-11 08:53:40
Print Post

Re: ADSL Max or ADSL2+?

[re: Troff] [link to this post]

At those figures you should be seeing around 20000 sync and 18000 profile. There is plenty of noise margin left but if external noise is causing the disconnects it will take time to settle.

Are there random noise bursts causing your disconnects? Download a copy of RouterStats Lite and run that with shortest update speed you can work with. Run it for two or three days and look to see what your noise figure is doing especially around the time of disconnect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Troff
(newbie) Mon 25-Apr-11 10:14:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks. Sadly, I cannot run RouterStats as I am on a Mac. My Router log shows hourly downstream SNR and it has constantly been in the band of 14 through to 17 db. I thought that it might be my CH pump but we were away for a week with everything turned off and we still got disconnects.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 25-Apr-11 10:35:30
Print Post

Unfortunately noise bursts are going to be just a second or two and the effect will soon disappear. Can you borrow a Windows based PC and run it on that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 25-Apr-11 11:31:36
Print Post

I'd be tempted to see if you can force your modem to sync at standard ADSL (g.dmt). My modem (Netgear DG834G) lets you choose between ADSL (g.dmt), ADSL2+, and auto.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-11 14:28:00
Print Post

Who's ISP?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User Troff
(newbie) Mon 25-Apr-11 15:46:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Who's ISP?

IDNet. Does this make any difference? Would a transfer to a LLU provider have any benefits given that the piece of wire running into my house will not change?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Apr-11 17:11:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Troff:
In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Who's ISP?

IDNet. Does this make any difference? Would a transfer to a LLU provider have any benefits given that the piece of wire running into my house will not change?
Yes. An LLU provider such as BE will not be using BT's appalling profile system.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Apr-11 17:46:57
Print Post

One disconnect every two days?

No ISP is going to entertain that as a fault. If you want try forcing ADSL mode which will lower sync speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to