Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 21:10:21
Print Post

Sky user with constant disconnects

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a friend (40miles away from me) who has Sky LLU and he has been getting constant disconnections. This has happened a few times and each time Sky sent him out a new router which solved the problem for 6 months.

Now they're refusing to send him another, and aren't sending any engineer. The only advice the call centre gave him was to "look on the internet to get your username/password and use your own router".

Unfortuantely the D-Link is the one router you can't get the username/password from after its been updated to version 2 firmware.

So I was thinking of going over and checking wiring / filters etc.

Anyone got a list of obvious things to check first??

thanks!

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 21:13:10
Print Post

Re: Sky user with constant disconnects

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Check the skybox is filtered.
Turn off the sky box.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 21:50:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Turn off the sky box.

I'm pretty sure that the filters will be fine, the owner is a clued up sort generally - but you're right; worth checking. I suspect they have multiroom so aren't permitted to disconnect Sky Box from phone line though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 21:52:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Turn off the sky box.

I'm pretty sure that the filters will be fine, the owner is a clued up sort generally - but you're right; worth checking. I suspect they have multiroom so aren't permitted to disconnect Sky Box from phone line though.
Well only for testing really to see if that's the problem. You're ok for a couple of months disconnected wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-May-11 11:37:47
Print Post

I'm with Batboy on this. The commonest supplier of dodgy microfilters I have come across is Sky. Also, ask when they went multi-room, very common to presume that Sky engineers are clued up and have fitted a filter on the new boxes, and yet haven't.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 03-Jun-11 19:47:24
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I'm with Batboy on this. The commonest supplier of dodgy microfilters I have come across is Sky. Also, ask when they went multi-room, very common to presume that Sky engineers are clued up and have fitted a filter on the new boxes, and yet haven't.

Thanks for all the ideas. I finally visited my mate last weekend. He doesn't have an NTE5 unfortunately but has the main socket in the front room (BT box on the external wall the other side where the cable enters the ground - no poles here). Then he has another phone socket in the room directly above - but he has absolutely nothing plugged in here.

He then had a speedtouch branded filter plugged into the wall socket, with the router connected to the DSL side, and a 3 way phone splitter on the phone side, connecting the sky box, DECT base station and answerphone.

I suggested adding a filter, and gave him one of my speedtouch branded ones that I had spare, and so his phone connections are now double filtered.

He's also managed to convince sky to send him another router, which he's been able to extract the login details for - so if this occurs again, we can fit my spare speedtouch 780 and run RouterStats to find out what the SNRM is doing!

Print Thread

Jump to