Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-May-11 19:53:30
Print Post

Strange events on both adsl and ptsn,i suspect a line fault

[link to this post]

Since switching from my previous isp (ukonline) who sadly is no longer, to be* i have been experiencing the following on the ptsn (voice)side:
sometimes when i do a quiet line test as i do from time to time,
Since on one occasion hearing a lot of static (white noise) for a brief period (5 secs approx) some times i am able to hear frequent popping,the frequency is variable sometimes a few times in 4mins to 20 or 30 times, but i have found if i use the option 1 on the 17070 test service,the popping tends to stop for a short time,
Also ever since the line was installed several years ago i have always been able to hear a humming/buzzing noise during a quiet line test,

with secrecy enabled to cancel out background noise,& ear pressed to handset as sometimes it goes very faint but other times it seems a little stronger, but the point is it should not be there

this noise is their regardless of if the router is connected or not so has nothing to do with adsl, one thing i have noticed is that the incoming bt cable that is buried under the footpath is not inside any ducting ,

some in my street are in ducting, with this being the case i have a feeling that the cable under the pavement is in close proximity to a mains cable at some point and is picking up emi from that , my problem is would the visiting engineer see this noise as a fault or not?

On the ADSL side of things whilst generally happy , there seems to be some odd behavior with the snr levels, which has happened several times, that is a sudden increase in target snr,
Sometimes lasting only minutes but has stayed at the higher level in excess of 12hrs before dropping back to the lower level again =offering a higher sync( if i reboot the router whilst it is higher) only pitfall with that is my snr ends up at 1.6db instead of 3.+db,
Recently it did the opposite and i lost nearly 1mbit off my sync for over a week following a random disconnection ,it just as randomly returned to normal again with both down &upstream snr level increasing ,
I rebooted my router to get the sync i should be getting ,

This issue i suspect is down to the kit i'm connected to at the exchange,as when i was connected my attenuation increased slightly,was 28db down now 29.30db ADSL GDMT, the upstream as also seen a similar increase, i also to suffer some residual packet loss and have since going live with be, this doesn't affect my throughput or appear noticeable in any ways that i use my connection, the only times it will disappear is when I'm playing online games or watching something ( steaming video ) but it soon returns,

If i max out the downstream the level of pkt loss increases slightly (10 streams) if i increase the number of connections (streams) the loss also will sometimes increase,The only other observation that i think could be a little suspect is the upstream snr it flapps around all the time,but only on Annex M mode
I have saved some graphs and stats from router stats:
RS Downstream snr part 1
R.S downstream SNR (2)
SNR(3)

Snr 4

RS upstream snr

Overview of routers stats,
just thought i would post this,as some of these issues do seem to be quite common amongst be* customers as i have seen reference on here and on the be forum,

Standard User nonBEliever
(regular) Tue 24-May-11 01:21:41
Print Post

Re: Strange events on both adsl and ptsn,i suspect a line fa

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
just thought i would post this,as some of these issues do seem to be quite common amongst be* customers as i have seen reference on here and on the be forum,

Drop me a PM tommy45 you wont believe my latest
  Print Thread

Jump to