Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rael1979
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 18:06:30
Print Post

high noise margin, slow sync speed

[link to this post]

Hi all!

I wondered if I can get some advice regarding my bt broadband as I can't seem to get any joy out of bt.

Around 6 weeks ago bt changed my cable from the cabinet to aluminium from copper (I think it was that way around). My sync speed went from 1152kbps to 2880kbps giving me around 2.5meg of broadband. All was fine for around 3 weeks with only 1 resync in that time that went straight back to 2880kbps again. However, over the last 3 weeks my sync has slowly been getting worse eventually syncing at around 1600kbps.

Having contacted bt they apparently did a "line back" and sure enough the router was syncing at 2880kbps again. But, over the next 7 days it eventually ended up back at around 1600kbps again.

I notice that the noise margin is very high and wondered why this is. Bt can't seem to help only telling me to wait 10 days to get a stable connection which i'm fairly sure isn't gonna get any faster. I'm using a home hub 2 straight into the master test socket. I've changed filters etc. and nothing seems to work. Heres my stats:

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 0:03:21

Downstream

1,632 Kbps

Upstream

448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

15.3 dB / 14.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

63.5 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

16.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

8 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local)

Many thanks in advance.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 17-Jun-11 18:51:57
Print Post

Re: high noise margin, slow sync speed

[re: rael1979] [link to this post]

You do have a long line and the best sync you could reasonably expect is 2.5 Mbps. Unfortunately you also seem to have a noisy line.

Have you got a test socket within your BT master socket? If so getting the stats from there would be especially useful.

If you haven't could you disconnect all telephone equipment and get the stats with just the router and a known good filter connected?

Is your ring/bell wire disconnected? If you're not sure post a link to a digital photo of the wires in the BT socket your home hub is connected to.

Has anything changed internally recently? Any new electrical kit or gadgets near your home hub.

Lastly, stats over an extended period of several hours would allow a better idea of the true error rate.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 17-Jun-11 23:48:02
Print Post

Re: high noise margin, slow sync speed

[re: rael1979] [link to this post]

It was probably Aluminium to Copper ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to