Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User squarewings
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 19:14:00
Print Post

Orange Broadband Problems/ ADSL Confusion!

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I've been away from my parents house for Three years due to Uni and as I've just moved back I can't help but notice that our internet is REALLY dire!

Before I left we used to get a stable 1.5mbps (with BT broadband) my parents since moved to Orange and have had nothing but trouble. We get two weeks of 2mbps followed by two weeks of 0.1mbps and many variables in between.

During writing this this post I answered my (old school analogue corded) phone noticed a heck of a lot of noise on the line and swear I could discern some information like sounds?

I'm sure every telephone point in the house has a microfilter on it and thought that was supposed to clear that up? I have to receive large chunks of data due to my work as a sound designer and am panicking a bit as to how this can be resolved.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance.

Here are the stats from my Orange Livebox.

In all of this variation our upload rate maintains 0.38mbps

Never ever changing. Really bizarre.

ADSL
Values

Description
Thomson Livebox 2 Mini uk v7.1-h323

Manufacturer
Thomson

SerialNumber
0839GH3UV9878CP

HardwareVersion
T-E.1.0

SoftwareVersion

DestinationAddress
PVC: 0/38

ModulationType
ADSL_G.dmt

ATMEncapsulation
VCMUX

ModemFirmwareVersion
bcm96358_ADSL_PHY_A2pBT009c1.d17d

Status
Up

LinkStatus
Up

LinkType
PPPoA

DataPath
Interleave

UpstreamAttenuation

DownstreamAttenuation

UpstreamNoiseMargin

DownstreamNoiseMargin

UpstreamMaxRate

DownstreamMaxRate

UpstreamCurrRate

DownstreamCurrRate

UpstreamPower

DownstreamPower

UpTime

Stats.Total.
Values

LinkRetrain

FECErrors

ATUCFECErrors

HECErrors

ATUCHECErrors

CRCErrors

ATUCCRCErrors
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-11 19:53:04
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband Problems/ ADSL Confusion!

[re: squarewings] [link to this post]

You are on ADSL1 (BT's IPStream ADSL Max) and getting 1.6 Meg, when you should be getting about 6 Meg. Your Down NM is suspiciously low @ -6 dB.

What exchange are you on? Post it's link from http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If you are hearing noise on your phones, do a BT Quiet Line Test on 17070 Opt 2 using a corded phone plugged with filter in the test socket hidden behind faceplate of master socket. If you hear any noise, report it to BT as a voice problem; don't mention BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 20:52:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi - Thanks for your help!

Here's my exchange link
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNDAW

1.6mb would be incredible, speedtest.net reports that whilst I have a ping of 47ms my download speed is 0.12mbps and my upload speed 0.38mbps.

The following is from the speedtester.bt website that Orange customer service go on about.

"Download speedachieved during the test was - 134 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1984 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps"

I don't understand all this though as my connection is just unusable currently as even loading Facebook takes upwards of three minutes. Youtube is impossible.

The connection just always flicks between this unbearable speed and around 1.5mb - Is anything I'm doing causing this do you reckon?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:29:12
Print Post

you are suffering from the bt 'bras' profiling, which detects a slow line, and limits the speed to reflect that. it then takes a while to recover after line noise goes away.
you should find the cause of noise, (filters do fail for instance) or test from 'behind the master' socket
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:38:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by squarewings:
1.6mb would be incredible, speedtest.net reports that whilst I have a ping of 47ms my download speed is 0.12mbps
I was talking about your router's Sync speed, not your actual throughput. Sort out your Sync speed 1st and the other may follow. Low relative throughput is indicative of congestion, which many IPStream platforms suffer from. You may be able to find an IPStream ISP who does not suffer this, like xilo or vivaci.

Have you done the Quiet Line Test? Your line could be very noisy.

Your exchange does not have any LLU ISPs providers except TT and I cannot recommend them for their awful customer service.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:48:04
Print Post

Low relative throughput is indicative of congestion,

sometimes, but:
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

is the reason
The connection just always flicks between this unbearable speed and around 1.5mb
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:50:01
Print Post

Would sorting out the noise address the sync speed issue?

Sorry, I'm a bit new to this ADSL stuff - I've been lucky enough to have cable for the last three years - oh for that again now!

Thanks very much
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:51:18
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

Does this mean the line is basically rubbish? Once again, apologies for my ignorance.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 21:59:46
Print Post

the stats show it manages 1.5mb at most times, just its rubbish occasionally

try isolating 'internal' (house) wiring, by connecting a router and a single corded phone via a filter to the test socket behind the master socket. (disconnects house wiring while testing)
but these tests may take days to be conclusive...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jun-11 22:00:16
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Agreed, but I think he really needs to sort out his low Sync 1st , which the IP Profile seems to be reflecting by probably detecting variable noise.

Variable throughput is just as well indicative of congestion at peak times.

@OP: Noise will certainly damp your Sync speed. Why haven;t you done the Quiet Line Test yet?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to