Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tmorgan
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 14:53:11
Print Post

Poor upstream speeds + disconnections

[link to this post]

Hi, first time poster but long time reader,
I've been having a problem with my broadband connection for about two weeks so I raised a ticket with my BB provider (UKFSN - a Entanet reseller.) This is what I told them :
Hi,
I have been having a problem with my adsl for the last week or two.
I am having frequent adsl disconnects and very poor upstream speeds (as low as 60 – 80 kbit/s)
Downstream speeds are affected to lesser extent.
-My router is plugged directly into the phone socket.
-Router is a Netgear DG834 – I have also tested the line with a Speedtouch 585.
-Normally no other equipment is connected to the phone line.
-When I plug a just phone + microfilter into the socket there is no noise until the adsl modem is plugged in. Then there is a high pitched noise followed by a constant crackling noise.
My problem appears to be identical to the one “gorstj” describes in this link - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/...
My line stats before this problem were :
Downstream - bitrate 5888 kbit/s, attenuation 47.0 db, SNRM 10.0 db
Upstream - bitrate 928 kbit/s, attenuation 25.0 db, SNRM 11.0 db
Now my line stats are:
Downstream - bitrate 4518 kbit/s, attenuation 48.0 db, SNRM 7.0 db
Upstream - bitrate 490 kbit/s, attenuation 28.0 db, SNRM 7.0 db
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

The reply from UKFSN was :
> > -When I plug a just phone + microfilter into the socket there is no noise until the adsl modem is plugged in. Then there is a high pitched noise followed by a constant crackling noise.
>
> This is absolute proof that there is a problem with either the phone line itself or your microfilter.
>
> The first thing you need to do is to replace the microfilters on your line, ensuring that everything connected to the line is properly filtered.
>
> If that does not solve the problem you need to call BT, or whoever provides the phone line, and report that you can hear loud noise on the line. Don't mention the broadband as they cannot touch that and it will only result in them getting things wrong. While the site you link you does describe the problem reasonably well the conclusion that it is something your ISP can fix is faulty as we have no authority to touch your phone line and any BT engineer we call out will only look at the broadband and not the phone line itself.
>
>
> Jason Clifford
> --
> UK Free Software Network Ltd

A number of points:
First I don't need to change microfilters as normally only the adsl modem is plugged in the line.
Second I'm told "If that does not solve the problem you need to call BT, or whoever provides the phone line, and report that you can hear loud noise on the line. Don't mention the broadband as they cannot touch that and it will only result in them getting things wrong". The noise on the line is absent if the adsl modem has not synced with exchange. If I call out a BT engineer wont he just test the line with no adsl signal present - find no fault - and then charge me because as far as he is concerned there is nothing wrong.
I should emphasize that normally only the adsl modem is connected to the line, no phones, sky boxes etc. Yet I still have multiple cycles of the modem losing sync and the reconnecting (In fact I just had one as I was typing this.)

I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks, Terry.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:39:37
Print Post

Re: Poor upstream speeds + disconnections

[re: tmorgan] [link to this post]

That does sound suspiciously like an HR fault, I presume you are testing at the NTE test jack, with all else disconnected ? You say you don't usually use a filter on the line, but for test purposes you are when you tried the phone, yes ?

If I call out a BT engineer wont he just test the line with no adsl signal present - find no fault - and then charge me because as far as he is concerned there is nothing wrong.

That sounds about right. If you have a problem with your broadband, then it is down to your ISP to organise the repair. If they start muttering about costs, then you could remind them that if it is a line fault, as they are suggesting, then the repair will be done at Openreach's expense. The reason you need them to call out an engineer, is so the engineer who attends is broadband skilled, and will have test equipment to emulate the modem, and hence be able to fault your line.

Standard User tmorgan
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 20:20:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Yes, I tested at the NTE jack with only the modem connected and I used three different microfilters when I used the phone to listen for noise. The noise was present with all of them.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 29-Jun-11 20:40:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
That does sound suspiciously like an HR fault, I presume you are testing at the NTE test jack, with all else disconnected ? You say you don't usually use a filter on the line, but for test purposes you are when you tried the phone, yes ?

If I call out a BT engineer wont he just test the line with no adsl signal present - find no fault - and then charge me because as far as he is concerned there is nothing wrong.

That sounds about right. If you have a problem with your broadband, then it is down to your ISP to organise the repair. If they start muttering about costs, then you could remind them that if it is a line fault, as they are suggesting, then the repair will be done at Openreach's expense. The reason you need them to call out an engineer, is so the engineer who attends is broadband skilled, and will have test equipment to emulate the modem, and hence be able to fault your line.

Is that in the written procedure for a broadband skilled test, I mean are you sure he will try a modem and phone at the same time?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-11 22:22:47
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Is that in the written procedure for a broadband skilled test, I mean are you sure he will try a modem and phone at the same time?

Ah, well, there's the thing. The required Pair Quality Test *should* highlight the imbalance between A to earth/B to earth readings. But any BB eng worth their salt should be using their test phone on the line whilst the router/JDSU/Exfo is in sync and looking at the errors this may or may not produce.

Standard User tmorgan
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 19:00:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Still having trouble. Now worse than ever.
Raised another ticket with UKFSN on Friday.

I wrote to you on the 15th of June about a problem I am having with my broadband service (Call ID: 46553).
I am still having the same problems.
I have changed the microfilters as you suggested.
I have not called a BT engineer as I have been informed that it is the ISP's responsibility to organise the repair and that the engineer who attends needs to be broadband skilled, have the test equipment to emulate a modem and hence be able to fault the line.
If I call a BT engineer, BT will send a ordinary voice line engineer who, as there is line noise only when a broadband signal is present, will find no fault and charge me for the visit.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you.

As of today (Wednesday) still no reply.
Just about to get my MAC code.
Anyone know any GOOD Entanet resellers?
TIA.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Aug-11 20:38:50
Print Post

Oh dear, I always believe that the proof of any ISP is demonstrated by it's resolution of a fault.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Aug-11 19:19:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by tmorgan:
As of today (Wednesday) still no reply.
Just about to get my MAC code.
Anyone know any GOOD Entanet resellers?
TIA.
I've been using Freeola for a long time (2003 for ADSL, dialup before that!) and can recommend them.

They WILL reply to you in a fast and professional manner - which often seems to be a problem with some resellers!?
I've had a couple of line faults on my rural line - all on BT's side and you do have to agree to run the gauntlet with BT and the possible cost implications if the issue is with your side of things! BUT then most ISPs are like that.

IMO only AAISP seem to really know how to deal with BT and line faults frown

Standard User tmorgan
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:59:44
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks, I think I will give Freeola a try.
One week on and STILL no response from UKFSN BTW!
  Print Thread

Jump to