Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 14:38:15
Print Post

Plasma tv interfering with ADSL2+

[link to this post]

This week my connection was upgraded from adsl 8 meg to adsl2+ 20 meg. Since the upgrade whenever I have my Panasonic plasma tv on and adsl throughput drops to effectively nothing although the router stays synced. I've tried moving the router to the master socket but it didn't have any effect. Has anyone got any ideas how I can stop this happening?
Standard User alewis
(experienced) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:06:07
Print Post

Re: Plasma tv interfering with ADSL2+

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

Do you know any amateur radio enthusiasts in your area? This is a known issue with HAM radio (in the 2-30MHz bands). Its also suspected of being a problem with ADSL.

If you don't know any HAMs, there is probably a club near you.. contact them for advice on EMC (they will understand). BUT, be careful... ..

Cure? Its complicated....

Firstly, fit RF chokes on the TV power lead, and quite possibly the RF/sat lead. A choke need be as simple as an iron 'ring' which you can wind the mains cable around (obviously need to remove the plug then refit it, depending on the power lead interface). OR, you might be able to find a snap-on choke- it looks like a rectangular which opens lengthways, you put the cable in and fold the open half over.

If this doesn't make any difference, then it is the TV itself which is radiating, and you need to contact the manufacturer. NOT the retailer, but the manufacturer. And OFCOM. The manufacturuer, as it is there responsibility to ensure that their equipment meets EU EMC/EMR regulations (CISPR22, and EN55022:2006). OFCOM, to raise awareness of the EMC issue (but make it plain that you do not want them to investigate - that costs £50 unless you know 'how' to get it done for free!).

The caveat about HAMS: This is NOT mean to be disrespectful in anyway, but some HAMS have a real bee about plasma (the Mar 2011 issue of RADCOM has the 'results' of a survey on Plasma interference on ham radio) - many believe that plasma TV should be withdrawn from the market, and applaud manufacturers who instead of fixing the problem replace the set with an inferior LCD/LED model. Drop me a PM if needed and I'll get a copy to you. The 'conclusions' are interesting...

Out of interest, what model Panny is it? I have the P42G20B, and have suffered no issues.

More than happy to help you work this out - DONT BIN THE PLASMA!

The views expressed here are mine alone, and do NOT reflect those of my employer, present or previous.
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:13:22
Print Post

[re: alewis] [link to this post]

I don't know of any Hams around here. I was routing through my drawer earlier and found this

http://www.zen16617.zen.co.uk/photo.JPG

I clipped it onto the power cable on the tv (there's also a block moulded onto the cable already) but it had no effect. The tv is a Panasonic TH42PZ80.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:31:22
Print Post

How close is the router to the TV?

Do they share the same power socket?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:33:02
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

They do normally. But when I was investigating I moved the router across the other side of the house on totally different power and phone sockets to no effect
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:35:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by No_One:
They do normally. But when I was investigating I moved the router across the other side of the house on totally different power and phone sockets to no effect
Is the PC on a wired or wireless connection?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:39:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

We've got 2 desktops, 2 laptops and 2 iphones. When the tv is on they all fail to load anything despite showing a full wifi signal. All this has started since the migration to ADSL2+ yesterday.

Although the tv is 2 1/2 years old, it came with a 5 year manufacturer warranty. I guess this should be grounds for a warranty claim
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jul-11 15:44:10
Print Post

This week my connection was upgraded from adsl 8 meg to adsl2+ 20 meg. Since the upgrade whenever I have my Panasonic plasma tv on and adsl throughput drops to effectively nothing although the router stays synced. I've tried moving the router to the master socket but it didn't have any effect. Has anyone got any ideas how I can stop this happening?
It also maybe having a detrimental effect on your neighbours adsl too, are you connecting using wireless or by Ethernet cable to your router? set up a think broadband quality meter and enable ping responses from your router, it will be interesting to see if there is lots of packet loss when this plasma tv is switched on,

You could stop using the tv ,sell it buy one that doesn't cause issues, or locate the tv away from the telphone line /extensions &router, or build a faraday cage and put the plasma in there to isolate it's radiation

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 09-Jul-11 15:49:32)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 09-Jul-11 16:02:12
Print Post

We've got 2 desktops, 2 laptops and 2 iphones. When the tv is on they all fail to load anything despite showing a full wifi signal. All this has started since the migration to ADSL2+ yesterday.
Are they all wifi then? If so try a wired connection, see if that's ok with the TV on.

Standard User No_One
(committed) Sat 09-Jul-11 16:03:09
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
set up a think broadband quality meter and enable ping responses from your router, it will be interesting to see if there is lots of packet loss when this plasma tv is switched on,

Any idea how you enable ping response on a Netgear DG834G?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to