Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User etiglao
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 13:51:24
Print Post

Download speed is below 1Mbs but sync speed is 5Mbs

[link to this post]

Hello

My download speed is dire, see below I get less than 1Mbs although my router sync download speed is at 5320Kbs and 796Kbs upload. I have SKY Broadband Unlimited.

Speedtest Result

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5320 kbps 796 kbps
Line Attenuation 46 db 28 db
Noise Margin 8 db 9 db

I only have master socket and the sky router is connected to it. I have not changed anything on my setup, I used to get a solid 3.2Mbs download when I was on ADSL Max with 4.0Mbs sync speed., but they changed my connection to ADSL2+ without informing me I do not know when.

I have spoken to Sky CST and they do not have a clue what it could be as all they are concerned about is the sync speed, they are getting a BT engineer to check the line but I do not think it's a line issue, as my upload speed is consistent with the sync speed.

Do you think that they are throttling my download speed? I am really fed up as I had a good connection before even my 3G dongle gives better download speed. Could I get them to change my connection back to ADSL Max?

Erv
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 16-Jul-11 15:37:42
Print Post

Re: Download speed is below 1Mbs but sync speed is 5Mbs

[re: etiglao] [link to this post]

It's not clear but it sounds like you are not on Sky LLU, i.e. you are using BT's kit at the exchange because Sky have not installed their own kit.

In that case you would be subject to BT's DLM system which limits your speed if you have had a recent low sync rate.

Which exchange are you connected to? See http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
Standard User etiglao
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 16:16:12
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I have checked, I am on Wandsworth Exchange and is enabled for Easynet/Sky LLU.

The issue is not the sync rate on the line but the download speed, there is a big inconsistency to just the overhead. For a 5Mbs sync speed I should get a BRAS profile of 4500Kbs.

Whilst I was on the phone with Sky they upped the profile on my router from 5020 to 5320 because this is the maximum stable sync they can get it up to after their line test.

As far as I am aware my sync speeds has not gone down to 1Mbs, I usually log in to my router at least once a fortnight. I thought that any issues like noise on the line would mean my sync speed would decrease not increase.

Erv

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 16-Jul-11 17:05:37
Print Post

I still can't tell if you are on BT or Sky kit. Unfortunately you are now on ADSL2+ which could be Sky or BT. Are you sure you are not on the Sky Connect package, that would have been ADSL Max. If you are on Sky LLU you'd have been on ADSL2+ since you joined.
Standard User etiglao
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 17:36:28
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Well I have been with Sky since 2008, and had the Sky Max package not Connect.

Then I changed to Unlimited a couple of years ago. The reason I think that I was on ADSL Max connection is that BT Wholesale availability checker said that a line speed of 4Mbs is what I could get on ADSL Max service and on ADSL2+ I could get 4.5+Mbs.

BT Wholesale

I always had 4Mbs Line Sync Speed, then recently it went up to 5Mbs line speed sync and that was when my downloads became slow. My issue is the download speed not the sync speed.

Erv
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Sat 16-Jul-11 17:45:56
Print Post

Your sync speed is okay and you say you get below 1 mbps.

You don't say it's only slow at peak times, but suggest it's all of the time.

This suggests to me it's not the network. If it was it would be slow at peak times, fast at other times...

It's not DLM as this is done via sync speed which is fine.

Do you use Wi-Fi? I am prepared to bet if you are, this is the problem.

Can you plug in via ethernet cable and run a speedtest at speedtest.net using LONDON as the server you test with?

EDIT: Customer since 2008, don't rule out a faulty router therefore.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 16-Jul-11 17:46:49)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:18:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by etiglao:
For a 5Mbs sync speed I should get a BRAS profile of 4500Kbs.
You don't have a BRAS profile on LLU.

To prove conclusively whether you are on LLU, run BT SpeedTester. If it errors you are on LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Sat 16-Jul-11 18:25:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by etiglao:
I have checked, I am on Wandsworth Exchange and is enabled for Easynet/Sky LLU.

The issue is not the sync rate on the line but the download speed, there is a big inconsistency to just the overhead. For a 5Mbs sync speed I should get a BRAS profile of 4500Kbs.

Whilst I was on the phone with Sky they upped the profile on my router from 5020 to 5320 because this is the maximum stable sync they can get it up to after their line test.

As far as I am aware my sync speeds has not gone down to 1Mbs, I usually log in to my router at least once a fortnight. I thought that any issues like noise on the line would mean my sync speed would decrease not increase.

There's no such thing as a profile on Sky LLU.

They have DLM but they don't apply profiles to this.

EDIT: XRaySpeX already said this

How much are you paying each month for broadband, this will let us know what package you're on. Also run the speedtester, just we can be doubly sure then

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 16-Jul-11 18:27:12)

Standard User etiglao
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 20:06:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Both Wifi connected macbook and iMac connected via ehternet record around the same values the iMac slightly faster as it is wired.

Speedtest.net record slightly higher values

My Speedtest

But is eratic on speedtest.net the meter needle jumps around al over the place on download but on upload the needle goes up gradually and holds at the top speed it can get.

I have extracted the DG934 Sky router username and password and used that on a spare Netgear DGN2000 and that is recording the same values, and also have changed the filters multiple times.

Erv
Standard User etiglao
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 20:08:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ok I got that wrong on BRAS profile the BT speedtest does fail so I am on Sky LLU.

Erv
  Print Thread

Jump to