Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colinr
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:00:45
Print Post

Sudden loss of UPSTREAM speed on Orange equip. changeover

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm on Orange broadband service up to 8Mb about ½ mile from the exchange (was previously Wanadoo). I used wired network not wireless (location SHIRLEY exch. West Mids)

Three weeks ago broadband went off completely. Orange said they had been swapping over their local equipment to UPGRADE the service (up to 20Meg possible??!).

I've been using my trusty DG834 (which was snyc'ing) for about 6 years, but they said it probably wasn't compatible (probably due to ADSL2 equipment or something bla bla) so they sent me their DGN1000 (so I was off for 6 days).

DGN1000 didn't work either so after another session on-line to 'Technical' they eventually had me adjust MTU to 1492 from my previous setting . This worked immediately.

However although the download speed has today a.m. come back up to my original speed of about 6000Kbps, my upload speed is only half what it was and hasn't got any better - about 190-240 when it has been about 510 for over 2 years.

I noticed the DGN1000 was only auto sync'ing using normal ADSL so I swapped back my very old router (still using MTU 1492) and that worked fine AND upload was faster at 390Kbps!

What's happening here then?? How can I restore my upload speed on their 'upgraded' equipment?

ColinR
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:13:55
Print Post

Re: Sudden loss of UPSTREAM speed on Orange equip. changeove

[re: colinr] [link to this post]

A lot depends on the combination of line sync speed, attenuation and noise margin, so hard to say much without knowing your old LLU figures and what you have now.

Upstream can be slower on the 21CN WBC network which they have moved you to.

The only time I've not seen older ADSL only hardware work, was on a line with ADSL2+ Annex M which will not be your issue.

It is possible that you've been assigned an IPStream like profile in the switch over, i.e. ADSL only, max sync 8128 and upstream max of 448Kbps. If you can force ADSL2+ on one of the modems, see what happens to the sync rates.

With a 6Meg sync, ADSL2+ will usually add around 1Meg to 2Meg.

It really is more of a cross grade, than an upgrade, the people you talk to will have been told its an upgrade, but reality it is not, for some due to DLM they are seeing slower speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:30:43
Print Post

Post your Router Stats.

With any luck you will have been put on ADSL2+ WBC.

When I was switched in April from ADSL2+ LLU to WBC, my Up speed stayed at 888 Kbps for 4 weeks, with a short drop to 444, before it recovered to 1100/1200 Kbps.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User colinr
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:48:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My current figures:
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions TxB/s RxB/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 115554 171334 0 253 3547 17:12:47
LAN 10M/100M 181963 124247 0 3669 279 17:13:09
WLAN 11M/54M/150M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7264 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 15.0dB
Noise Margin 5.4 dB 27.0 dB

I dont have old figures for attn/noise etc
I do have a page recording my old up/down figures at broadbandmax but Im not sure what the link will be for you to see it.

I tried forcing ADSL2+ without changing any other settings and it wouldn't sync.

Thanks for the explanation mrsaffron. I'll call Orange again and asked why service is downgraded anyway.

rgds
Colin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 15:56:56
Print Post

They have you on an up to 8Meg profile or service, rather than a 21CN WBC ADSL2+ service.

What does http://www.speedtester.bt.com say for your line, copy/paste text so we can decipher it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User colinr
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:47:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My speedtester.bt figures:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5285 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7328 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6000 Kbps

I could do with that upload speed being doubled as before for uploading photos and maintaining web sites - any suggestions? Will changing MTU make any difference? If this connection supports ADSL2+ what other changes do I need to make to ADSL settings?

Thanks
Colin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:51:13
Print Post

If no other paragraphs then sorry to say looks like you've being connected to a legacy IPStream Max system with a maximum of 448Kbps for its upstream.

Ask Orange why you aren't on the ADSL2+ WBC product available on the exchange, and make sure they are aware you consider this a downgrade of service, and potentially a voiding of any contract.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Jul-11 18:18:06
Print Post

You must be on a legacy 8 Meg service.

What does it say under Your Account / Change your Package under your Member's Centre @ https://membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/regrade/index ?

Does it allow you to change to a BB Only "Up to" 20 Meg service, even at a higher price? It would be well worth it as your line is capable of 16 Meg on ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to