Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User griff_90
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 16:45:45
Print Post

Communal Distribution Point

[link to this post]

Maybe a silly question but would a BT distribution point located in the same "cupboard" (For want of a better description) as 5 electricity meters and all the associated cabling cause any issues for the phone line?

I'm experiencing interference, to quite a large extent, on the line and I'm wondering if this is a contributing factor.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:27:55
Print Post

Re: Communal Distribution Point

[re: griff_90] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by griff_90:
Maybe a silly question but would a BT distribution point located in the same "cupboard" (For want of a better description) as 5 electricity meters and all the associated cabling cause any issues for the phone line?

I'm experiencing interference, to quite a large extent, on the line and I'm wondering if this is a contributing factor.
Yes it could in particular to any adsl signal running on it, bt may say no it shouldn't as a telephone line and mains would have to run parallel to each other at a close proximity for a certain distance before it would cause issues,(leak EMIR from mains into PTSN ) if the mater socket is next to the incoming mains supply ask them to move it away from the mains supply as it is causing issues, they may well charge you,but would depend on the engineer ,
if you reported a fault, or you could move it yourself i know that i would, bt's property or not,fact is they should not site line plant near mains cables& meters, assuming that it was a bt engineer who actually put it there

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 18-Sep-11 17:31:40)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:44:05
Print Post

Certainly doesn't sound like the ideal situation!

ADSL is very sensitive to electric 'noise'...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:16:31
Print Post

Nasty - especially if they are the older electro-mechanical meters!

You will get noise from the lines, noise from the meters and noise from everything else that is being switched in all the premises.

It that location the avoid running parallel, cross at right angles &c rules can be forgotten and the interference potential is enormous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:35:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Nasty - especially if they are the older electro-mechanical meters!

You will get noise from the lines, noise from the meters and noise from everything else that is being switched in all the premises.

It that location the avoid running parallel, cross at right angles &c rules can be forgotten and the interference potential is enormous.
But it's not only the connection beyond the NTE5 (master socket ) that can be affected by this others (immediate neighbors ) can also be affected,

Be it sudden disconnects or drop in snr level, or packet loss(reduced throughput) or some other abnormalities adsl wise,

And maybe a very faint humming or buzzing on the voice part can be heard far easier during a quiet line test with a phone that amplifies the volume , i know i speak from personal experience of it, the line that is next to the meter is several buildings away from me, And i am able to tell when the eletricity is being used (such as lighting switched on, machinery,and possibly also fax machines,adsl services, and those chip & pin terminals used for card payments, and if such a nuisance can be proved by bt they in my opinion should be able to sort it out, by moving the master socket F.O.C (If fitted by bt in the distant past) or press for legislation that would protect their network for this sort of thing should the customer refuse to co -operate with moving of such socket ect

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 18-Sep-11 20:49:49)

Print Thread

Jump to