Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:20:12
Print Post

Internet Connection Keeps Cutting Out

[link to this post]

I was recently connected to BT Infinity and have been having random internet disconnects a few times per day. I had this problem with my last ISP Be*, so I now suspect it's an issue with my line.

I'm using a DrayTek Vigor 2750 modem/router connected directly to the test socket with 1 computer connected via ethernet.

When the internet cuts out the router is completely fine and just shows "Disconnected" under WAN then reconnects minutes later.

I used a line tester which checks the polarity of the socket or something and it came back fine, there is also no noise on the line when phoning that noise checking number thing.

What other steps can I take to identify the issue?

And is there antyhing I can get BT to do? (I get the impression they are morons?)

Thanks

Edited by 0001ms (Sat 24-Sep-11 14:53:38)

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 24-Sep-11 11:40:30
Print Post

Re: Internet Connection Keeps Cutting Out

[re: 0001ms] [link to this post]

If you can hear noise on the phone line (preferably connected to a 'normal' phone, not a DECT one), report it as a fault to BT.

Once that's sorted out, if the disconnects still happen, then that needs to be addressed.

BT will want to verify Infinity works using their Modem and HH3.

Good luck.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:30:09
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
If you can hear noise on the phone line (preferably connected to a 'normal' phone, not a DECT one), report it as a fault to BT.

Once that's sorted out, if the disconnects still happen, then that needs to be addressed.

BT will want to verify Infinity works using their Modem and HH3.

Good luck.

There is no noise on the line.

I will connect up BT's [censored] and let them know.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by 0001ms (Sat 24-Sep-11 13:55:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Sep-11 13:56:53
Print Post

At least the BT modem reports figure in standard units. Something that the Draytek does not. Reporting noise margins in centiBels (cB) - a great way to confuse issues especially when the two occurrences do not even match ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 14:53:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
At least the BT modem reports figure in standard units. Something that the Draytek does not. Reporting noise margins in centiBels (cB) - a great way to confuse issues especially when the two occurrences do not even match ...

That was me in paint from another forum, long story.

I couldn't get the BT Modem or HH3 to work :-\ I connect the modem to the socket, the DSL light lit up and I connected it to the HH3 however the broadband light would not light up. I also tried connecting the modem to the DrayTek with no luck.

I tried with the socket faceplate on and off.

Any ideas?

Edited by 0001ms (Sat 24-Sep-11 14:55:13)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Sep-11 15:02:27
Print Post

If the BT modem will not train even when fitted direct to the test socket then there must be a fault on the line or with the modem. First action is to report exactly that to your ISP.

M H C

Standard User 0001ms
(newbie) Sat 24-Sep-11 16:11:48
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I sorted out that problem and now connected to the internet with BT's equipment. I will monitor the disconnections then contact them.

Could it just be that the disconnects are form the line stabilising itself during the initial 10 days?

Edited by 0001ms (Sat 24-Sep-11 16:12:13)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 24-Sep-11 17:20:59
Print Post

The line does not "stabilise" but teh sync can be modified. If that happens you will see a very very short down time and it will probably not be noticed - data will just back up and be sent once the short interrupt has ended. IF there are any resyncs they will be every few hours or possibly days.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to