Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meganne2
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 15:20:14
Print Post

INTERMITTENT BROADBAND PROBLEMS (TalkTalk)

[link to this post]

Hi there, I joined this forum today. I have a Broadband problem. My connection comes and goes. If I make a telephone call it will sometimes come on, but will go off as soon as I end the call! Also if I re-site the router it will come on (which is what I have done in order to put this post up)

I have changed the micro filter and the RJ11 cable, but I have the same results whether I use the old or new micro filter or cables. I have phoned TalkTalk who asked me to plug the micro filter into the test socket for 48 hours so they could monitor it. They called me back and said that 'there is too much voltage on the line, and I should change my micro filter'. I don't understand what this means, but I did that and I'm still experiencing problems. They said I could have a visit from an engineer, but I will have to pay £50 if the problem is with my equipment!

I'm worried in case the broadband is working fine when he calls, charges me £50 and it goes off as soon as he's left. Anybody else had this problem? I am a middle aged blonde woman with no technical knowhow I'm afraid!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-11 15:54:56
Print Post

Re: INTERMITTENT BROADBAND PROBLEMS (TalkTalk)

[re: meganne2] [link to this post]

Intermittent issues are always a pain.

The phrase you repeated from support, sounds like when a garage tech takes a sharp intake of breathe, i.e. making it look like they've done a lot for the price they are charging.

Your issue sounds like a high resistance (in BT speak HR) fault, i.e. the act of picking up the phone results in a better electrical connection for a while.

Try visiting http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php and find your modem and copy and paste the attenuation, line sync (connection speed) and noise margin figures. If you have several phone sockets, take the figures from all of them, and also the test socket.

Changing microfilter is always worth checking, as these can fail in an intermittent manner, but is fairly rare.

Also you often get better help from posting on TalkTalk's own member forums, as the more tech aware staff monitor it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meganne2
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 16:52:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My broadband was on yesterday afternoon, and early this morning until the TalkTalk engineer called. I had cancelled his visit but TalkTalk hadn't told him! He is a nice chap and said he would check my line anyway free of charge as I had cancelled. He did some line checks and found nothing wrong! He thought it must be my router. He had not gone more than 500 yards down the road and my Broadband connection went down and hasn't come on since. My neighbour has lent me an oldish router that they don't use anymore and no joy with that either. I guess there is a possibility that I have 2 duff routers!

Because the connection has gone down completely at the moment, I only had chance to do one of the tests suggested. This data was taken with the router plugged in to the main socket.

Rate (Kbps): 2206 kbps 719 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 8.5 8.3
Attenuation (dB): 56.0 33.0
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Do you think I will be banished forever to Dongle Land?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 17:39:29
Print Post

Intermittent faults are only ever really found if the person testing is on site when it goes wrong.

Like taking your car to a garage saying it mis-fires, but runs perfectly in the garage.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:02:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by meganne2:
This data was taken with the router plugged in to the main socket.

Rate (Kbps): 2206 kbps 719 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 8.5 8.3
Attenuation (dB): 56.0 33.0
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

main socket or test socket ?

If it isn't working now then it should be easier for them to fix. Report the fault again.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User meganne2
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 15:24:38
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

It was the main socket not the test socket. I could not test it in the test socket as my telephone is located in an extension and I need to be using the phone to get a broadband connection. As soon as I hang up my broadband connection goes down! Strange yes?

I have ordered a new router which I will try and if there is the same result I will go back to support and tell them that I have checked my broadband equipment.

Thanks for the comments I have received from people on here. It is much appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Sep-11 19:23:33
Print Post

OK, you really need to use the test socket, you can then plug the phone into the microfilter you have used at the test socket *if* still required to gain sync. If it still won't sync unless the phone is used in the test socket, then it's time to insist that TalkTalk arrange for a broadband trained Openreach engineer to attend site, as it is highly likely, as Mr.S said that you have an HR fault on the line. Try it, TalkTalk's 'cube' engineers don't impress me much !

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 02-Oct-11 11:30:35
Print Post

I could not test it in the test socket as my telephone is located in an extension

so move it ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User meganne2
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 21:09:04
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Hi, and thanks to the people who have commented on my post, it is much appreciated. smile I contacted TalkTalk again as the problem is now no longer an intermittent problem. My broadband does not work unless the phone is in use..full stop. A TalkTalk engineer called this morning and confirmed it is not my equipment, so he has spoken to the technical department who are getting BT to investigate the matter.

I will let you know what happens as soon as I know anything.
Standard User meganne2
(newbie) Tue 11-Oct-11 17:01:09
Print Post

Hi all, The Open Reach engineer called today. Unfortunately he was not very talkative, but he did say that he thought the fault was an underground fault. He also managed to get me a quicker speed also. I am delighted. All I have to do now is to see if I can get a little compensation from TalkTalk. I must say that I was not terribly impressed with the technical department at TalkTalk. Every time I called I had to tell them what had been tried, replaced etc etc. They didn't seem to keep good records. The Open Reach engineer telephoned me before he called to see what problem I had, as TalkTalk did not give him any information on my fault!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to