Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Sun 02-Oct-11 23:12:29
Print Post

Errratic download speeds

[link to this post]

Hi Folks

I have an orange livebox but it keeps crashing. When I do a speed test I get speeds between 1 mb and 15 mb download but as I say the live box keeps crashing so today I changed the router and am now using a netgear router. Once configured immediately got a 15mb download but the day went on my download speed has become very erratic and I can't figure out why but at least the box is not crashing and I am able to stay on line. My livebox was on a contract for 8mb download but I can obviously get more and I'm guessing that the reason the live box crashed is that it couldnít handle the speeds but Iím not sure. Is it possible that the speeds are to much for my telephone line although that doesnít make sense to me, if I can get 15mb then I can get it but does anyone have any ideas about why this might be happening please.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1513373706.png

I hope this basic mail makes sense.

Thanks
Ricc

Edited by bumlog (Sun 02-Oct-11 23:17:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-11 23:27:36
Print Post

Re: Errratic download speeds

[re: bumlog] [link to this post]

What are your router stats? Which Netgear?

For how long was Livebox crashing? I found Orange's authentication server (LCP/CHAP) very ropey early afternoon today.

You line will cope with all ADSL2+ speeds, unless you have a wiring issue at your end.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Mon 03-Oct-11 17:56:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi Xray
Orange livebox has been crashing for a while now and you know what it's like, you call them and they read whatís written in the manual back at me. It's not just at certain times as it was crashing constantly which meant I had to keep unplugging it or resetting it.

At the moment I am using a netgear DG834G and have just got a 14.4Mbps down and 1Mbps up but sometimes it drops to very low levels. I think the wiring is all OK this end as I have changed all the cables and filters and checked the phone socket and everything looks tight. I guess that there is one cable that I have not changed yet and that is a two metre extension lead and will go down to Maplins in a moment to get one just in case.

I think I said in my last post that my contract with Orange is for up to 8Mb download, I also have my phone line with them so I was wondering if they would have some sort of system in place which causes this problem.

I welcome any thoughts that you or anyone else has.

Thanks
Ricc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 19:17:55
Print Post

Router stats? You might be able run this: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bi... if you have right version of 834G.

You are obviously no longer on 8 Meg package. They must have auto upgraded you, prob when you were transferred to BT. What does Your Account say on their website?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Mon 03-Oct-11 22:29:09
Print Post

Hi Xray
Three hours after getting my 14.4 Mpbs download that I talked about earlier and then going out, leaving the computer on I came back and ran another test, this time though I was down to 0.7Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

With regard the 8 Meg package. I took this out about 6-7 years ago and put my line over from BT to Orange and am still on the same package so they have not upgraded me.
I can access the netgear admin function, thatís not a problem but what stats are we talking about? Below is what is says about my connection speeds but let me know if you are talking about other stats and I can post them. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to some of this stuff.

DownStream Connection Speed 17559 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1267 kbps

OK I have just realised that you might mean these stats

System Up Time 05:21:27
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 131815 187628 0 1114 20164 03:29:50
LAN 100M/Full 243712 179555 0 16822 1337 05:21:10
WLAN 11M/54M 11289 706 0 140 5 05:17:19

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 17839 kbps 1255 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 db 13.0 db
Noise Margin 3.00 db 6.5 db

I can't get the above to line up on here but if it doesn't make sense let me know and I will do it amother way.

Thanks again
Ricc

Edited by bumlog (Mon 03-Oct-11 23:09:50)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 23:28:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by bumlog:
Three hours after getting my 14.4 Mpbs download that I talked about earlier and then going out, leaving the computer on I came back and ran another test, this time though I was down to 0.7Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
I presume you are talking here about your throughput got from speed tests? If this is up & down while your actual connection (sync) speed given by your router ("Connection Speed 17839 kbps 1255 kbps") is about steady, then you are probably suffering from congestion.

Those "Show Statistics" router stats were the ones I was after and show your sync speeds are very good smile

As a matter of interest are you able to login to your Netgear router on my link here: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bi... ?

What does it say for Your current home package is: under change your home package when you login to Your Account here: https://membercentre.orange.co.uk/MCPres/login.do ?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 03-Oct-11 23:30:54)

Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Tue 04-Oct-11 07:31:47
Print Post

Hi

Interestingly when I try to log on to the router using you link I have problems but I can log on to the router with just 192.168.0.1

As for my home package, that is as I said it was.

If it's congestion, what do I do about it.

Thanks
R
Standard User epyon
(member) Wed 05-Oct-11 00:30:08
Print Post

If its congestion they change ISP or maybe try to get on another VP at the exchange though i don't have a clue how to do that on orange.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Wed 05-Oct-11 00:32:04)

Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 07:43:34
Print Post

Re: Errratic download speeds *DELETED*

Post deleted by bumlog
Standard User bumlog
(newbie) Wed 05-Oct-11 08:03:05
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Hi XRay & Epyon

Thanks for taking the time to try to help, if I understand you both correctly there is nothing I can do about this other than move isp. Even if I do that would I be guaranteed that I would not get the same problem as the exchange and the lines won't change?
I guess in a way I am back to my original question. If I connect the live box back up which will mean I get a slower connection but will Orange be able clear the congestion. As I said at the beginning of my posts my contract with Orange is for up to 8meg download so Iím wondering if I am getting this problem because I have shot past their cap???

Any final thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks again for your time
Ricc
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to