Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User knowley007
(committed) Sun 09-Oct-11 23:21:33
Print Post

MasterSocket or not the MasterSocket...that is the question

[link to this post]

Hi all

For a a long time now I've been running my Netgear DGN2000 router from an phone extension socket solely because that socket is located near a LAN connection in my house, and the master socket is no where near the LAN.

I am trying to improve my upload speed, and am currently toying with the idea of FTTC, but apparently that has to have the modem installed to the master socket... So with this in mind I moved the router to the master socket to see what my ADSL line would sync at and the result was surprising, apparently upload is better but the download is worse.

Master Socket:
Downstream Link = 18247kbps, Line Attenuation = 22.5db, Noise Margin 2.7db
Upstream Link = 1159kbps, Line Attenuation = 10.4db, Noise Margin 5.8db

Extension:
Downstream Link = 19163kbps, Line Attenuation = 22.5db, Noise Margin 2.1db
Upstream Link = 903kbps, Line Attenuation = 10.6db, Noise Margin 6.3db

I must confess that now I've moved the router back upstairs to the extension socket its not as good as it was...
Downstream Link =18627kbps, Line Attenuation = 22.5db, Noise Margin 3.0db
Upstream Link = 888kbps, Line Attenuation = 10.6db, Noise Margin 6.5db
... so I presume that with this rate adaptive stuff the connection will settle down over time since I've messed around with it? OR is something else causing interference...?

Would I benefit from a better connection if I was to put the router into the MasterSocket and then somehow get the LAN internet enabled using some sort of wireless bridge? There is a desktop and server that run off the LAN and I do not want them to get a worse connection to the internet because they are effectively going through a wireless connection first... Would this be more of an issue should I move over to FTTC?

I know I should just wire the LAN up to the mastersocket but I am not allowed to run cables through the house nor am I allowed to pull up the carpets frown

Any insights/similar experiences/comments greatly welcomed smile

Thanks

John
Standard User JoshRooney
(regular) Tue 10-Jan-12 10:19:12
Print Post

Re: MasterSocket or not the MasterSocket...that is the quest

[re: knowley007] [link to this post]

Interesting conundrum!

I would be very curious if your extension socket was giving better speeds than your master socket, and slightly suspicious of the original install.

In theory you should always have your router in the master socket, as this generally gives a better connection. The problem you face in then getting things to connect is an issue though.

If you are running wireless, you could just buy a range extender, or booster for the wifi signal, so that it will go where you want it to. The other option is that you buys one of these clever little plug-into-the-mains LAN conenctions. Plug one in next to the router, the other(s) next to the devices you want to connect to it and voila, an instant LAN.

I've no personal experience with these however, but other reports suggest they aren't too bad.

Let me know how you get on!?

Josh smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jan-12 11:24:12
Print Post

Rate adaption means there is no settling down, the modem will connect based on a figure, which is usually based around getting the best downstream speed it can with a 3dB noise margin as the initial target in your case it seems

Thus variations like you've seen are not uncommon, and at your line speeds, minor changes in the noise environment can make a 1 or 2 Meg difference.

Time of day makes a big difference, better syncs during the day, and worse at night. In the same way AM radio reception is generally worse at night. ADSL and ADSL2+ is basically lots of AM radio signals crammed down a copper cable, so anything that interferes with an AM radio station may impact on broadband

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Tue 10-Jan-12 11:48:24
Print Post

can you test it in the 'test' socket? behind the master faceplate
Standard User knowley007
(committed) Tue 10-Jan-12 11:52:18
Print Post

Old thread guys, but thanks for the replies!

I have since canned short term plans to move to FTTC - Eclipse are a rip off at the mo for that. Moved the router downstairs to the master socket and have a wireless bridge to the wired LAN; its not ideal wireless sucks, but I do get faster upload with the router on the master socket download is a touch better now its settled down.
  Print Thread

Jump to