Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User r0ad1e
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 22:03:15
Print Post

ADSL problems/setup

[link to this post]

Hey,

I am hoping someone can help before I lose my mind!
(apologies if this is in wrong section - I'm new noob)

My main tel line into home has only an RJ11 usual BT connection, which has main sky HD+ and tel connected.. running an extension cabling upstairs to a BT socket box. Out of which is Sky HD+ multiroom and a short extension cable into the router area. The router is then ethernet CAT5 to my main PC.

I have adsl filters connected to main BT line socket (d/stairs) and of course the extension socket (upstairs) and also between the extension cable (in router area) and the router connection.

I have had no problems before and sudenly Sky have added the extra adsl filter (upstairs as multiroom needed it apparantly) and now my connection is running extremely slow.. ie. 2 mins to load google page on a 24MB LLU line.

I have read that no adsl filter is required for connection to router but, how do I connect the 'mini ethernet' without the filter as the extension BT cable only has RJ11 socket (apologies for non technical terms of sockets).. Is this my problem or is the whole setup wrong?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! smile

Thanks,
R
Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 19-Oct-11 22:20:05
Print Post

Re: ADSL problems/setup

[re: r0ad1e] [link to this post]

Have a look at the example setups here: http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-11 10:41:35
Print Post

the BT socket is not an RJ11, that's the "mini ethernet" unfiltered connection for the router.

You need to have all telephony devices passing through the BT port on a microfilter

The signal to the router must not pass through the BT port on a microfilter, it can either connect via the RJ11 (which is unfiltered) or with a BT - RJ11 adapter or cable.

So think through the signal route from the incoming line to the router and see if it is unfiltered all the way. Then do the same for everything else connected and make sure it is filtered.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User r0ad1e
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 18:17:31
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

EDIT:

I want to thank all who read and those who helped me understand things!

It seems a faulty RJ11-RJ11 now changed and working fine.. smile Sky are happy and my internet is back to 50MB as it should be!

Many Thanks =)

---------------------------------------------

Hi and thanks for the replies - helpful reading definitely!

I have a little further question..
I bought a rj11-rj11 and a bt-rj11 cabling today to experiment.. my problem lies from the extension socket upstairs.. using the bt-rj11 cable works perfect but as soon as I connect the adsl filter and use either the rj11-rj11 or the bt-rj11 cables my internet does not find a signal at all!... I am extremely confused.

I am on LLU which may be similar to adsl2 I do not know the technicalities but do adsl filters depend on adsl or adsl 2 signals.. ie. if my filters are older is it possible that they do not recognise my LLU signal?
This si the only logical reason I can think of as to why I am getting absolutely no signal with the filter connected.

Appreciation of your patience smile
R

Edited by r0ad1e (Thu 20-Oct-11 20:19:14)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 20-Oct-11 21:24:23
Print Post

LLU simply means a competitor to BT has installed their kit in a BT exchange.

That kit will invariably be ADSL2+ as progress has been made since BT originally installed ADSL.

Filters for ADSL, ADSL2, ands ADSL2+ are identical.

The modem/router must not be filtered.
Standard User r0ad1e
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 19:34:14
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info - very useful and knowledgable smile

I have gotten it working through using a RJ11 double end cable.. and unfiltered helped - seemingly my connection was never correct but when Sky added a filter on the line it blocked the connection.

All sorted now and a huge massive thanks to all you guys =)
  Print Thread

Jump to