Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User orb8
(newbie) Sun 23-Oct-11 10:45:06
Print Post

Broadband ok but no phone

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I was out most of the day yesterday but when I came home I noticed that we had no dial tone at all on the phone. The phones were all showing 'check line' frown

First thing I did was to check that the broadband was still working and that the up/down line noise in router stats was ok. All readings were normal and the upload download speeds were as they should be.

I then turned my attention to the master socket, so I took the face-plate off and stuck a different phone into it. It was still dead!

I then tried to ring our house on my mobile and instead of the engaged tone I was expecting, there was just a very faint hiss and then a single beep blush

Is something screwed up in the exchange?

thanks guys

orb
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 23-Oct-11 10:57:49
Print Post

Re: Broadband ok but no phone

[re: orb8] [link to this post]

Possibly. ADSL only needs one wire of the twisted pair supplying your phone line to work. So it is possible to have working ADSL but not a working phone. I'd expect the ADSL to be seriously degraded though.

You have tested at the master/test socket so I think you need to raise a voice fault with your line rental provider (normally BT).
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 23-Oct-11 10:58:21
Print Post

Either at the exchange or the line ...

Assuming it is BT, report the problem as a voice fault either through:

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faul...

or call 0330 123 4151 from your mobile (0800 800 151 is normally outside calling plans and 151 will not work)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 23-Oct-11 10:59:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 23-Oct-11 11:02:36
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Possibly. ADSL only needs one wire of the twisted pair supplying your phone line to work. So it is possible to have working ADSL but not a working phone. I'd expect the ADSL to be seriously degraded though.

You have tested at the master/test socket so I think you need to raise a voice fault with your line rental provider (normally BT).

One leg di would result in a degradation of ADSL - about 6dB on SNR resulting in corresponding decrease in Sync

FTTC adds another dimension though ...

If the cable from exchange to cabinet is faulty - one or two legs ids or the whole cable stolen FTTC will continue to work without degradation

M H C

Standard User orb8
(newbie) Sun 23-Oct-11 14:21:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I don't know where my previous reply went but anyway....

I forgot to mention in my first post that last week our road was being worked on, and opposite the main BT cabinet another cabinet was being installed. I'm not sure if it's a phone one or not but perhaps it's a new fibre cabinet being installed?

I'm now wondering if this has anything to do with the problem we have although nobody else seems affected.

I have put a call into Sky and now they have escalated it to tier two for investigation.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Edited by orb8 (Sun 23-Oct-11 14:22:06)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 23-Oct-11 14:41:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by orb8:
I don't know where my previous reply went but anyway....

I forgot to mention in my first post that last week our road was being worked on, and opposite the main BT cabinet another cabinet was being installed. I'm not sure if it's a phone one or not but perhaps it's a new fibre cabinet being installed?

I'm now wondering if this has anything to do with the problem we have although nobody else seems affected.

I have put a call into Sky and now they have escalated it to tier two for investigation.

Thanks guys for the advice.

It could be ... there is a tie cable between a telephony cabinet and the FTTC cabinet and when installing that cable it may have been that someone nudged your cable and a poor connection failed but accidentally not as a direct result.

If it is FTTC going in and you want faster service then why not migrate your phone back to BT and then sign up for Infinity?

M H C

Standard User orb8
(newbie) Sun 23-Oct-11 14:50:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

It could be ... there is a tie cable between a telephony cabinet and the FTTC cabinet and when installing that cable it may have been that someone nudged your cable and a poor connection failed but accidentally not as a direct result.

If it is FTTC going in and you want faster service then why not migrate your phone back to BT and then sign up for Infinity?

I'd love fibre optic broadband but it's just far too expensive. I mean at the moment I pay 7.50 a month for my broadband which is an actual 11Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up. And it's totally unlimited which does me fine, especially as we download about 100+ GB/month with 6 computers & my Steam games etc.

Edited by orb8 (Sun 23-Oct-11 14:54:04)

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Oct-11 14:53:31
Print Post

Re: Broadband ok but no phone + edit

I had an OpenReach engineer in this morning checking why there was no dialling tone etc. etc. it turned out to be a fault with the OR master socket (2.5 years old) which he replaced, he then went on to check that the other phones were OK.

The BB worked with the faulty master socket up to a point, but the router sync rate was limited to around sixty percent of what it usually is.
When he was checking the line with the Hawk he was able to inform me that the exchange was 6.1 kilometres away, a bit longer than I thought.

There had been some thunder and lightening at the start of the week so I had wondered if that had caused the problem prior to the OR visit, however with regard to the master socket there were no signs of internal burning or melting tongue

I phoned the fault in to BT (CS is still in India?) on Thursday and Sunday was the the next available day for an OR engineer visit.

Edit > forgot to mention that there was also no dialling tone when connected to the TEST socket within the master socket smile

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 23-Oct-11 15:08:17)

Print Thread

Jump to