Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Shmoo_
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-11 02:07:04
Print Post

Slow download speeds

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some help (obviously!)

I've been with Pipex Homecall for 4 or more years now on an up to 8Mbps download and up to 1Mbps upload speed. During the course of those 4 years I have enjoyed a constant Download of 6.6Mbps and upload of 0.8Mbps.

Within the last few months my download speed seems to be getting slower and slower. 5 to 3.5 to 2 to 1.5 and now I'm recording speeds of 0.8Mbps consistently sometimes even 0.5 while my upload stays at a steady 0.8Mbps. A bit weird having a faster upload!

So I called Pipex support who took me through the usual turn your router off and on shenanigans (As if I haven't tried that) then she refreshed the line twice for me. She reported no faults and said that I should be receiving speeds of around 13Mbps!

She then asked what router I was using and informed her I had a Belkin one which cost me over £100 as I use multiple laptops and gaming consoles wirelessly.

She went on to say that the router was the problem and I should use the one they provided as it had "Pre-Configured settings" for my line which I think is bull as I've set up and used 5 different routers with no drop in speed inclueding this one. After that she tried putting me through to the "loyalty team" to buy a new router. I said no thanks.

Since Pipex are no help and I'm being lead by a cattle prod over to Talk Talk on November 7th, What should I do next. These speeds are killing me!!! Any help would be great. Sorry about the long message, I just needed someone to talk too! lol

Here are my router stats also -

Downstream Upstream
Data Rate (kbps) 8188 1020
Noise Margin (dB) 7.5 12.8
Attenuation (dB) 34.2 19.2
Output power(dbm) 19.4 12.2

Big Thanks!
Standard User Shmoo_
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-11 02:11:55
Print Post

Re: Slow download speeds

[re: Shmoo_] [link to this post]

Also ... I do get increased speeds after 12pm to 1.5Mbps and when I check the speed, all the tests are very jumpy on the download section. As if it's very stop start stop start yet the upload is very smooth and constant.

If that helps any more.

Again thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 09:48:40
Print Post

If the router stats remain pretty static, particularly the noise margin then most obvious cause is congestion on the network owned by the ISP.

The 8188 looks like they may be capping your speed (the up to 8Meg package).

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Shmoo_
(newbie) Tue 25-Oct-11 13:37:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

If it was a congestion or capping problem then would it improve once I get moved to Talk Talk as they putting us on their Talk Talk Plus plan with up to 24 Meg unlimited speeds or would it be worth paying £60 to get off their LLU and join someone more reliable?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 14:38:59
Print Post

It might improve, but I am unable to quantify the might aspect.

Personally I would be looking elsewhere if I was to receive such a poor service, no matter what the future promises were.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Shmoo_
(newbie) Thu 27-Oct-11 12:36:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have been looking around for a new provider all year but couldn't find anything around the same price i was paying for the same speed with an unlimited package.

Having no speed now though has changed things.

Having checked around I think I am going to have to pay about £60 if I need a BT line again which is a bit of a shame.

I would go with BT as they are pretty fast in my area but for the unlimited broadband and phone package it works out over £40 a month.

Compared to my current £17 a month deal it's quite a jump
  Print Thread

Jump to