Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User roycon
(newbie) Fri 28-Oct-11 14:05:31
Print Post

Difference in Broadband Speed Test Results

[link to this post]

I recently moved to Talktalk from BT to achieve a faster Broadband speed. Bt could only provide around 6MB yet neighbours with Talktalk, on the same exchange and further away from the exchange, were achieving 11 - 14MB. I had issues with BT service, or I should say lack of it, and as I could get a better deal with Talktalk I moved and so far no major issues......or have I??. I have always used "Speedtest.net" as a means of determining approximately what speed I was achieving. When I was with BT this reported around the 6MB mark. Now with Talktalk Speedtest.net tells me I'm achieving 11-12MB. However the Thinkbroadband speed test reports 6 - 7 MB?? I have tried port 80 and get the same results. Can anyone advise me as to why I should have such a difference in results??
Cheers
Roy
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Oct-11 16:42:15
Print Post

Re: Difference in Broadband Speed Test Results

[re: roycon] [link to this post]

Speedtest reports the peak speed achieved over a short period, while TBB reports the average speed on a larger file. Tbb may be more accurate, as it better reflects rapidly fluctuating levels of congestion on the network. However, if you want a better idea of how good the line is, I'd suggest downloading a large file (linux iso maybe) from a trusted fast source and monitoring the speed in a bandwidth monitor.

(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 07:58:23
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

12eason.
Thanks for your help and prompt response. I'll do as you suggest.
Cheers
Roy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 12:39:47
Print Post

Hi roycon,

I personally use speedtest.net all the time for consistency.

Just curious, are you running the TBB tests wired, or wirelessly?

I have recently seen another user mentioning that wired, the TBB results are reasonably close to other speed testers, but wirelessly, are miles apart.

Paul.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Sat 29-Oct-11 12:41:16)

Standard User roycon
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 16:37:08
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

Hello Paul
I'm wired. I would have thought you should not see any noticeable difference between wireless or Ethernet connectivity when running the test unless there's a problem with the wireless setup?? I only have a Wireless USB hub in use at the mo but the next time the kids visit with their Ipads or laptops I'll compare the two and post the results.
Cheers
Roy
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 01-Nov-11 12:04:43
Print Post

hi Roycon,

Speedtests operated by any third party can also be subject to the demand of the speed test server itself.

If you use TalkTalks speedtester this is on our network equipment so will give the most accurate result of your TT speed.

Regards

Mark

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 01-Nov-11 12:39:11
Print Post

Windows XP often needed to be tuned to get best wireless performance, the before and after difference could be quite dramatic. Later versions of Windows don't have this problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to