Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gameinn
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 19:59:44
Print Post

Downgrading firmware on a 585v6

[link to this post]

I wanted to downgrade my 585v6 (Got it from AOL years ago) so I can run DMT Tool and tweak the SNR. Every downgrade firmware (mostly tried 6.1.4.3 for the snr tweak) I try says it's not compatible even though it states it is for the 585v6. Is this because it was originally an AOL router?
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 20:28:52
Print Post

Re: Downgrading firmware on a 585v6

[re: gameinn] [link to this post]

Yep it's not possible to downgrade it past a cetain point on the AOL provided routers, have tried it myself and spent several hours trying to figure it out in the past. Had no luck.
Standard User gameinn
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 21:19:36
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Ah well. Not too much of a loss. Reason I wanted to try was that this 585v6 gets a download attenuation of 23.5db while my DG834PN gets 28db. I am getting my line prepared for Annex M so that decrease in 5db on my 585 is good.

I can get my Netgear to synch at about 17,100 solid and about 18,400 if I want to push it but unsure of the stability. With the lower attenuation I was thinking that 18,500 would be possible with good stability.

Edited by gameinn (Sat 29-Oct-11 21:25:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 29-Oct-11 21:36:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by gameinn:
Ah well. Not too much of a loss. Reason I wanted to try was that this 585v6 gets a download attenuation of 23.5db while my DG834PN gets 28db. I am getting my line prepared for Annex M so that decrease in 5db on my 585 is good.

I can get my Netgear to synch at about 17,100 solid and about 18,400 if I want to push it but unsure of the stability. With the lower attenuation I was thinking that 18,500 would be possible with good stability.

Attenuation just measures line length from your house to the exchange... some routers report it differently however the actual line length is obviously the same. So a different reported Line atten isn't going to make any / much of a difference

Some routers have chipsets that are slightly better.

So all in all I doubt the sync would be much better

If anything I find netgears always sync higher than speedtouch

All in all
Standard User gameinn
(newbie) Sat 29-Oct-11 21:55:46
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I actually found my 585 would synch at about 1222 upload and my Netgear at about 1167, meaning the 1222 upload might do better with Annex M.
Standard User Gypsydog
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Oct-11 12:24:55
Print Post

Don't know whether or not the info below will work for your old AOL router, but it does for a 'standard' 585v6.
When I was using a 585v6 I was having problems downgrading the firmware and
I found the info many moons ago on a PCAdvisor forum.

No harm in giving it a go

To Downgrade SpeedTouch 585 v.6 Firmware

Connect the unit to the computer via ‘Ethernet port 1’

Have the ‘SpeedTouch Upgrade Wizard’ interface open; either from SpeedTouch CD or file.

Begin with the unit powered ‘Off’ via switch at the back

Using pin/pencil push the ‘Reset’ button and hold it in

Keeping the ‘Reset’ button pushed in, power ‘On’ the unit.

Do Not Release the ‘Reset’ button for 15 seconds.

The ‘Power’ light initially goes ‘amber’ and then both ‘Power’ and ‘Ethernet’ lights should flash between ‘red’ and ‘green’

Run the ‘SpeedTouch Upgrade Wizard’.

You only have around a minute to start the wizard before the SpeedTouch reverts to the ‘normal’ bootup and the downgrade will fail if this happens.

DrayTek Vigor 2710n

ZeN Active 8000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every man should have at least two computers; one to use and one to tinker with.
  Print Thread

Jump to