Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-11 18:13:38
Print Post

Problems since switching to 21CN

[link to this post]

Hi there, my problem is a strange one, so here is some background. I am with Zen Internet and have been for some time I used to be on their active 8000 package and as I live only 150 meters from my exchange was getting 7150 down and 375 up and I was very satisfied.

I am on the Harefield exchange which has just been upgraded to 21CN and so I upgraded to the new service, It was excellent I was getting 18146 down and 983 up. Needless to say I was very pleased, this service lasted for about twenty days untill late one evening I had four disconnections in quick succession my service then dropped over the coming days to 12183 down and 385 up. I have contacted Zen and tried swapping filters and changing cables all to know avail.

I have tried the BT quiet line test and all seems to be as it should, Zen say it's not there problem it must be my end. What can I do or try next please?

My router is a Thomson ST546
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Nov-11 18:32:12
Print Post

Re: Problems since switching to 21CN

[re: flak999] [link to this post]

Have you been using the TEST socket within the master socket (if you have that type) to see if the sync rate improves?

Tried another router?

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-11 19:40:32
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, and yes I have run all my tests from the test socket, only thing I have not done is try a different router as I have no access to one.

Is it possible for the router to have suddenly become defective but still work, as I am still using it and getting 12345 down and 343 up?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Nov-11 20:10:56
Print Post

I have two ST546 routers and both needed new capacitors after a few years of operation. The symptoms that got me to notice this was an unstable line. I swapped the router to the other 546 and it was ok. Have since then replaced all the capacitors. Testing with another router is a must.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Mon 14-Nov-11 22:13:19
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

My router is less than two years old, so would be surprised if it had become defective already! But if that is possible then perhaps i should buy a new one? Obviously i don't really want to spend my hard earned on a new router only to find that it's not the problem, is there any way to test the one I've got?
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Nov-11 22:21:30
Print Post

I got another on Ebay for a fiver. Dunno how old the ST546 is that failed but like I said it became very unstable immediately, new panasonic caps and it was fixed. Im not saying this is def the problem just my experience and fix. Borrow one from a mate. U can do your own research into broken caps. Or test your router on a mates line. Zen seem to have already ruled out your line.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN

Edited by Banger (Mon 14-Nov-11 22:31:19)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-11 20:39:19
Print Post

Run a BT speedtest, it may just be the profile has dropped after the disconnects. If this is the case it should resolve itself after a few days.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Tue 15-Nov-11 22:55:12
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I have run a BT speedtest and my IP profile has dropped! How long should it take to re-adjust the profile?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 15-Nov-11 23:33:23
Print Post

At most 5 days I think (as long as you don't have a bad sync in the meantime).
Standard User flak999
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 17:12:46
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Well, it's been over five days now without a loss of connection, but my ip profile is still unmoved! Is there anything further I can try?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to