Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rmackenzie83
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 11:25:07
Print Post

Broadband Issue

[link to this post]

Hi,

Im having some issues with my broadband and would appriciate some help from somebody in the know.

I have phoned up BT and im being told that there is no problem so have done a bit of investigating myself and i have the below stats. I have also checked my house for phones/devices connected without a filter and there isnt any.

HomeHub connected to MasterSocket

Sync Speed: 672kbps / 448kbps
Modulation: ITU-T G.992.1
Latency: Interleaved
Noise Margin: 4.5 dB / 16 dB
Line attenuation 54 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power 15.2 dBm / 11.9dbM
CRC Errors: 529

When plugged into the Test Socket

Sync Speed: 3,000kbps / 448kbps
Modulation: ITU-T G.992.1
Latency: Interleaved
Noise Margin: 7.6 dB / 20 dB
Line attenuation 53 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power 17.2 dBm / 11.9dbM
CRC Errors: 0

So from looking at the above i get a far better sync speed connecting direct to the test socket so if i speak to BT will they come to my house and fix this? if so is it free or does it cost?

My second problem is that even though im getting a sync speed of 3,000kbps i only get around 0.2mb/s on the speedtest website. Is this down to the fact that its been sitting with errors on my line perminantly so they slow my download speed to that even though it syncs at 3mb?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:19:56
Print Post

Re: Broadband Issue

[re: rmackenzie83] [link to this post]

BT will charge to fix the issue, up to £200 has been mentioned

The free simple fix is

1. If you have extensions with no phone plugged in, and no need for them remove them
2. Lift the ring wire from pin 3 on the removeable faceplate pictures and more words at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm...

The speedtest result is down to the IP Profile setting, which if you got the 3000 long enough would improve, between 1hour and 5 days. The site www.speedtester.bt.com will tell you what your current IP Profile is set to.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-11 18:02:10
Print Post

[re: rmackenzie83] [link to this post]

It would seem you have an issue with some extensions or internal wiring, if you call BT out they will charge for this, if your not to happy about checking everything yourself the easiest solution would be to replace your filter with a filtered face plate, this will also filter at source all other internal extensions, they are not expensive, the ones we use are: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php but there are others on the market but we like those ones.

The reason the speed is still low even when in the test socket is due to your profile being low (due to your lower connection speed) once you get those resolved the throughput and profile will raise back up after a few days.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rmackenzie83
(newbie) Thu 17-Nov-11 16:06:10
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thanks for the responses will buy a new filter and see how i go.

Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to