Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bccowell
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 18:36:16
Print Post

audible line interference and out going calls

[link to this post]

Hi. Just joined the forum today, but have been registered with the site for 7 years and that is how long I've been with Plusnet. They offer a great service BUT when you need to change things for me anyway it all goes pear shaped! Until recently I had two phone lines coming into the house, one I really didnít need. We moved to our property in July 2010. Since then on three occasions I have attempted to just have one line. In August I tried again, but the speed on line A was so bad and that was after BT had dug up the road, ordered some equipment, it still did not improve. I had had both lines on Plusnet DSL as a precaution I wasnít confident that the transfer would go Ďseamlesslyí and I was right. I got 1.6-2.3 Mbps on line A but on line B which was a new installed line (when I moved in) I was getting 6.2 to 6.6Mbps not bad and Iím in the sticks. So for me it was a no brainer, but my wife wanted the original number (line A) as it was registered with her professional bodies etc. So we thatís Plusnet and I agreed to port the number to line B, a logical move. But after that which happened a month or so ago, my wife (who is hard of hearing) has had consistent problems with 1) making outside calls, lets say itís erratic and 2) even more important the line interference or static background noise has been consistently there. So I have been reporting this to Plusnet for 3 weeks plus (you have to see the log of the call and mails to believe it). Then on Friday after my wife gave up trying to make a call I again sat on call waiting for 20+ mins to get this sorted, and would not be put off by ďIíll have to talk to technical etcĒ and I got through to a team leader. We talked it through and he said (weíd done all the tests from the NTE5 box at the start of the problem) if the static is not there when you plug into the inner box, itís the I Plate and itís your problemí! I replied itís a pity you didnít tell me that back in Mid October. So I did some research, ĎI plateí Iíd never heard of the term. Then it occurred to me Iíll swap over the I Plates, if itís faulty Iíll know pretty quickly. Guess what no change, so itís not the I Plate, or are they both faulty. People like a BT Openreach engineer and Maplin both whom Iíve spoken to said it must be internal wiring. But after pondering the whole thing it canít be as all thatís changed is the number! So my question is to anyone out there is it me aka my house wiring or BT Openreach? Cheers BC ps I use Skype and have no problems
Standard User polemonkey
(learned) Wed 23-Nov-11 19:34:41
Print Post

Re: audible line interference and out going calls

[re: bccowell] [link to this post]

I gather from what you've said that your line is noisy with both iplates, but was unsure whether you meant that it was OK without them?

My advice would be to test it as methodically as possible, starting from top...

1. Using a "known good" corded phone, test with iplate and modem (plugged in iplate). If noisey could be any number of things which need to be eliminated. So continue to step 2.

2. As above, but without modem plugged in. If not noisey, could be modem (or lead), or a line/exchange fault. If still noisey then looking like iplate/line. So, eliminate iplate.

3. Remove iplate and plug phone direct into test port. If still noisey in BT test port, then it's the line, unless you have extensions which you may or may not be aware of, piggy-backed off the NTE, known as star wiring.

Hope that helps get you started.

P.S. Consider the following too...

The type of noise. As a very, very general guide, hissing noises are often broadnad or filter related. Crackling noises tend to be line related, e.g. high resistance etc.

Are you using a cordless or corded phone. Some cordless interfere with ADSL.

Good luck, let the forum know how you get on smile
Standard User bccowell
(newbie) Fri 25-Nov-11 01:52:33
Print Post

[re: polemonkey] [link to this post]

Hi polemonkey
Thanks for your comments, I'll take them onboard, those that Iíve not tried (most). Remarkably after posting this and adding the link to my account at Plusnet, they got in touch and said a) they wanted to send an engineer round, my reply 'not if I'm paying' and then b) my wife says the service has improved., the out bound calls are not failing now and she can hear yes hear the callers, does this mean the power of the pen/pr has worked or is it a fluke! I'm not holding my breath and am monitoring it. Watch this space. Cheers BC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bccowell
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 23:47:51
Print Post

[re: bccowell] [link to this post]

Guess what Plusnet keep changing thier minds:
I had a call today from you. You said the previous apts I had left in reply to you could not be met and agreed that an engineer would visit. This was arranged for this Thursday PM, and I received two texts to confirm it. Then I read here you have cancelled it!! I have repeatedly said it's not my end, please read the history. Am at my tethers now with Plusnet, I'm just about had it with you. If this is mot resolved this week I shall have to start looking for an ISP that handles problems with a reasonable CRM profile! That's after 8 years with you. I am not willing to pay BT to fix what not my problem, please read the history is, at least Iím consistent!
Think I may need to change ISP, pitty the DSL is brill! BC
  Print Thread

Jump to