Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sgtoma
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 19:37:57
Print Post

orange Broadband problem

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,
I don't know much about ADSL so please be gentle..

I am with Orange broadband (only cause it costs me £5 on top of my mobile contract) for 5 years now and recently they had some change with their services as I was disconnected for a day. I am on an 8Mb package although the line cannot support more than 6mb.
Since then the broadband connection is very unstable. No other hardware has been changed.
In the morning I may get 4-5Mb down speed but evenings is sometimes around 1Mb.
main problem is that the livebox mini keeps disconnecting from the internet. This morning the DSL light was flashing amber (no broadband detected) yet I was still connected to the internet.
Has anybody has same problem? I know their Customer services are .. I won't actually dignify this with an attribute.

many thanks
Sorin

Here are the router's stats:

ADSL
Values

Description
Thomson Livebox 2 Mini uk v7.1-h323

Manufacturer
Thomson

SerialNumber
0839GH18QFB89CP

HardwareVersion
T-E.1.0

SoftwareVersion

DestinationAddress
PVC: 0/38

ModulationType
ADSL_2plus

ATMEncapsulation
VCMUX

ModemFirmwareVersion
bcm96358_ADSL_PHY_A2pBT009c1.d17d

Status
Up

LinkStatus
Up

LinkType
PPPoA

DataPath
Fast

UpstreamAttenuation

DownstreamAttenuation

UpstreamNoiseMargin

DownstreamNoiseMargin

UpstreamMaxRate

DownstreamMaxRate

UpstreamCurrRate

DownstreamCurrRate

UpstreamPower

DownstreamPower

UpTime

Stats.Total.
Values

LinkRetrain

FECErrors

ATUCFECErrors

HECErrors

ATUCHECErrors

CRCErrors

ATUCCRCErrors
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 20:03:50
Print Post

Re: orange Broadband problem

[re: sgtoma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sgtoma:
main problem is that the livebox mini keeps disconnecting from the internet. This morning the DSL light was flashing amber (no broadband detected) yet I was still connected to the internet.
Sounds like you are impacted by this BTw issue: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/f/4065230... . Does your router maintain a log to confirm this?

It's now been cleared for me for the last 58 hours smile

All you can do is sit it out as phone support often are not aware of faults in BTw's network. What exchange are you on?

It's often worthwhile looking in the Orange forum here 1st for any issues.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 20-Nov-11 20:05:52)

Standard User sgtoma
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 20:30:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thank you for the quick reply.
I am about 1.94 Km from exchange (dagenham) in crow-flight

Livebox doesn't seem to have a log option.
I will see have to put up with it for a while then.
I only use it for general browsing but the second line phone service stops working and I have to reboot the box to get it back. this is annoying.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(member) Sun 20-Nov-11 20:40:43
Print Post

Hi Guys,
I don't know much about ADSL so please be gentle..

I am with Orange broadband (only cause it costs me £5 on top of my mobile contract) for 5 years now and recently they had some change with their services as I was disconnected for a day. I am on an 8Mb package although the line cannot support more than 6mb.
Since then the broadband connection is very unstable. No other hardware has been changed.
In the morning I may get 4-5Mb down speed but evenings is sometimes around 1Mb.
Has anybody has same problem? I know their Customer services are .. I won't actually dignify this with an attribute.

many thanks
Sorin

I thought just like you about Orange CS, but since the UK guys have got involved I've found that with their involvement with BT Open Reach engineers, they have improved my line speed profiles by wiring improvements/replacements and main socket upgrade.
However the next step, in trying to smooth out our peak time usage blips in download speed, is going to be "the crunch" performance factor!
Good luck.
p.s. They have replaced our router three times in 4 months - the latest being a NETGEAR N150
With other routers that I've bought myself over the years, I'm going to have to have a "boot sale" soon to shift some wink
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 20:41:18
Print Post

recently they had some change with their services as I was disconnected for a day.
When was this? I was changed to BT WBC platform in April; it was unreliable for about a week.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User sgtoma
(newbie) Sun 20-Nov-11 21:03:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

This was about 1-2 months ago. Sorry my tracking of time is pants. The problem then was a DNS issue on their part as I was being assigned an IP and DNS by ISP and could ping them from my pc but couldn't ping the dns server from net (mobile internet used)
I thought this was part of migration but by what I read it may have been an isolated incident.
The net connectivity got worse in last 2 weeks. I may have to call them (1/2 hour) to see if there is anything obvious. My IP profile is 5000 if it helps.
It may be worth asking neighbours if they have similar problems.

Thank you for your help.
I thought of switching providers but it will cost me more and I really need the free international calls.
ATB
Sorin
  Print Thread

Jump to