Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 21:39:22
Print Post

Odd Upload Speed

[link to this post]

Not sure if this should be in the fibre section or here but if this wrong can one of the mods move this post plz.

I have a fibre connection with ADSL24 and I am over 1.3 miles from the cabinet. I want to stress that ADSL24 are doing everything they can to help me resolve this but thought others may have experienced this or may have a solution.

I get around 19Mb download speed and on a good day get 1Mb upload. My problem arises that I only get the 1Mb upload every third day and then for two days it drops to around 0.7Mb. Its not much of a drop but I can notice it when gaming and when a pc is being used at the same time just for browsing.

My line is stable but will continually change the upload speed every third day. I have the quality graph from this site running it does not show any disconnections or odd behaviour from what I can see.

Hopefully someone can suggest why this occurrs. The most possible reason that has been suggested is the cabinet hardware is profiling my upload speed and after 24hours on a 1Mb speed it feels it is unstable and drops it and then after two days is happy again and increases it. Don't know?

I forgot to mention I had my line reset two weeks ago and the latest BT modem installed and the speed changes occurr around 6am in the mornings.

Todays test

Yesterdays Speedtest

Any ideas will be welcome.

Regards

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 07-Dec-11 22:37:17
Print Post

Re: Odd Upload Speed

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

If it happens at regular times then perhaps something is being switched on which causes interference in the upstream frequencies. Problem is the "something" could be anywhere between you and the cabinet. Is it every 3 days? Or does it happen on the same days each week?
(member) Wed 07-Dec-11 23:02:32
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Its every third day without fail. I know that Thurday and Friday of this week will be 0.7Mb and Saturday back up to 1Mb. On Sunday and Monday 0.7Mb and so on....

The router and modem are never switched off.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Dec-11 12:56:32
Print Post

Sounds more to me, like a profile being reset, as you say. Line conditions are always permanent or random, not timed.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Dec-11 14:37:31
Print Post

If you reset modem every 2nd day, does the issue never occur then?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 08-Dec-11 14:54:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

That makes no odds. I did try this when I first noticed what was happening. The upload speed on the modem will always remain around 1.3Mb regardless. Since I have got the new modem I have not had a chance to flash it however I expect there is no difference as the behaviour is exactly the same.

Print Thread

Jump to