Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User edinburgh2011
(newbie) Sun 11-Dec-11 09:53:06
Print Post

PVC status

[link to this post]

Hello

New to the forum.

I was wondering if someone would help me please. We have a lot of disconnections; BT engineer came round, but said it's Virign National.

These are our stats. In particular, I wonder if the PVC connection should be 'applied' rather than 'down' - the BT man said something about Virign Media checking their circuit boards at the exchange.

DSL Connection
DSL Status Up
DSL Modulation Mode ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
DSL Path Mode Interleave
Downstream Rate 19701 kbps
Upstream Rate 888 kbps
Downstream Margin 6.0 db
Upstream Margin 12.1 db
Downstream Line Attenuation 10.0
Upstream Line Attenuation 5.8
Downstream Transmit Power 16.3
Upstream Transmit Power 10.3

PVC Connection
Encapsulation RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing VC-Mux
QoS UBR
PCR Rate 0
SCR Rate 0
Autodetect Disabled
VPI 0
VCI 38
Enable Yes
PVC Status Down

Thanks for your help!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:21:22
Print Post

Re: PVC status

[re: edinburgh2011] [link to this post]

BT Openreach engineer is in the right area.

You appear to have a good ADSL2+ connection, which is really all the Openreach can do in this case.

The PVC side of thing (private virtual circuit) is the handshaking/authentication side of things that goes on with the DSLAM. In this case it looks like it is a C&W LLU service, which is what Virgin Media use in some areas where their cable products are not available, as this is cheaper than BT Wholesale.

Do you have actual connection to the internet? And when it goes away what does the router say? i.e. if the DSL Status is showing no Rates, then a DSL (Openreach probably) area, if that is up and router is not authenticating then its Virgin support to chase C&W

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User edinburgh2011
(newbie) Sun 11-Dec-11 16:16:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew for such a speedy reply.

The BT man changed the master socket, ran some tests and said everything was fine between the house and the exchange. As I said earlier he suggested that Virgin National look at the circuit board at the exchange, whatever that is.

As for the connection, when the router is connected to either the master socket or test socket, it goes on the Internet (online), but then, mostly in the evenings, or sometimes at random times like 3am last night, the connection drops - the Internet light on the router goes red, the 192... page says 'stopped'. The DSL section of the router, quoted above, still shows as 'up' and the numbers (stats), but then, I think, during the 'disconnection phase', it can show as 'down'. I also noticed that this can happen when the both of us are on the Internet at the same time in the evenings, although there's no pattern to this, as it's dropped when I was browsing on my own. Initially, VM told us to change the password to a stronger one and then changed our profile from 'Fast' to 'Interleave'. When I click on the 'Check connection' in my Buffalo router, it shows cabling ok, but then it shows 'PPPoA server not detected' despite my using the PPPoA connection. So, I thought the router might be faulty, but then disconnections had occurred with another two routers, though I can't verify if any of the connection tests via the 192.... thingy showed there was no PPPoA server.

Now, the VM using Carphone Warehouse's network would perhaps explain why the both offer ADSL2+ speeds, whereas BT only offer up to 8Meg in my area. Carphone Warehouse (TalkTalk) also have capacity issues in my area, whether or not this has an influence on our problem, I don't know. We're connected to the Dalkeith exchange (EH22 3JN).

This is what the router says when there's a disconnection:

2011/10/15 13:17:48 PPPOE Wan IP 86.xx.xx.xxx obtained
2011/10/15 13:17:47 PPPOE pppd 2.4.3 started
2011/10/15 13:16:49 PPPOE Internet disconnected
2011/10/15 11:41:13 PPPOE Wan IP 86.xx.xx.xxx obtained
2011/10/15 11:41:03 PPPOE Internet disconnected
2011/10/15 11:35:04 PPPOE Wan IP 86.xx.xxx.xxx obtained
2011/10/15 11:34:53 PPPOE Internet disconnected

The PVC status has always been 'Down' rather than 'Applied', but I'm not sure if for Virgin Media it should be 'Applied'. Also, the stats never change, like the SNR margin etc. - they always remain the same, apart from slight variation in the speeds (between 18800-19000).

Thanks for your help and time.

Edited by edinburgh2011 (Sun 11-Dec-11 16:25:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 11-Dec-11 16:33:12
Print Post

[re: edinburgh2011] [link to this post]

If the internet is down but you can log in to your router and it shows upstream and downstream rates that indicates that the line is OK but Virgin is not authenticating your login properly. If that's the case complain to Virgin.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Dec-11 22:31:07
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

To add C & W means Cable and Wireless NOT Carphone Warehouse

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to