Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PJ02
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:39:14
Print Post

Noisy Line?

[link to this post]

After a couple of days living at the parents over Christmas i couldn't put up with their terrible internet any longer.

They are currently on a Zen 8Mb service but were getting at worst 20kb/s download.

Original equipment was Netgear DG834GT, this connected at 5.4Mb ish with a SNR of 6.5, during the day this would hover from 5 - 6.5 on the netgear and jump up to +13 during the evening.

Updated the router to latest DGTeam with no change.

Replaced the router with a old Draytek 2800VG, sync has dropped to 4.8Mb with a SNR of 8.5 hovering around 7-8.5 and jumping to 16 last night.

I have traced and removed all cables, all phones and used the master socket all with little difference.

Line stats

Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 4864000 bps US Actual Rate : 448000 bps
DS maximum Rate : 4864000 bps US maximum Rate : 448000 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave
NE Current Attenuation : 19.0 dB Cur SNR Margin : 8.5 dB

As you can see 19dB attenuation whilst syncing at 4.8Mb at 8.5 SNR

Other line stats

ADSL Information (ADSL Firmware Version: E.67.36.1 )
ATM Statistics TX Blocks RX Blocks Corrected Blocks Uncorrected Blocks
187232 2874103 58463 2

That is for a connection of 1 hour as you can see the corrected blocks is very high considering the length of time it has been connected.

I'm at a loss of what to suggest / try, to me this is noise on the line or a dodge line card maybe? I usually expect the SNR to drop during the evening not increase..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:46:29
Print Post

Re: Noisy Line?

[re: PJ02] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PJ02:
After a couple of days living at the parents over Christmas i couldn't put up with their terrible internet any longer.

They are currently on a Zen 8Mb service but were getting at worst 20kb/s download.

Original equipment was Netgear DG834GT, this connected at 5.4Mb ish with a SNR of 6.5, during the day this would hover from 5 - 6.5 on the netgear and jump up to +13 during the evening.

Updated the router to latest DGTeam with no change.

Replaced the router with a old Draytek 2800VG, sync has dropped to 4.8Mb with a SNR of 8.5 hovering around 7-8.5 and jumping to 16 last night.

I have traced and removed all cables, all phones and used the master socket all with little difference.

Line stats

Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 4864000 bps US Actual Rate : 448000 bps
DS maximum Rate : 4864000 bps US maximum Rate : 448000 bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave
NE Current Attenuation : 19.0 dB Cur SNR Margin : 8.5 dB

As you can see 19dB attenuation whilst syncing at 4.8Mb at 8.5 SNR

Other line stats

ADSL Information (ADSL Firmware Version: E.67.36.1 )
ATM Statistics TX Blocks RX Blocks Corrected Blocks Uncorrected Blocks
187232 2874103 58463 2

That is for a connection of 1 hour as you can see the corrected blocks is very high considering the length of time it has been connected.

I'm at a loss of what to suggest / try, to me this is noise on the line or a dodge line card maybe? I usually expect the SNR to drop during the evening not increase..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

The first question ... are there any flashing Christmas lights near the router, filter or phone lines?

The jump of SNR in the evening - is it a single step or gradual rise?

19dB attenuation with 6dB SNR would normally give better speeds. Possibly a noise source is disappearing and the SNR then rises.

Can you get RouterStatsLite and run it - sampling every minute for 24 hours to give 3000 point graphs for up and down sync and up and down SNR. Than willl show exactly when teh noise level is changing and how it changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PJ02
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 11:10:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I've set Router Stats Lite up and shall run it for the rest of the day, i can't be sure when the SNR jumps up atm though.

The only thing next to the master socket is an electric garage switch which we isolated and switched off, no Christmas lights this year i'm afraid as they were busy doing building work in the house.

I've tried switching other old appliances fridges / freezers in the garage. The master was moved into the garage quite awhile ago when an extension was done to the property. There is then a cat6 distribution panel next to the master socket with a clarityIT filtered faceplate providing filtered phone connections to the rest of the house.

The faceplate has been removed and tested with a brand new standard filter with an actual decrease in SNR so the filter should be good.

No Sky boxes either, my guess was also a noise source hopefully the routerstatslite will pin point the timeframe which may give a clue to what.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 12:13:21
Print Post

Leave it running to find out when the change happens but if you are sure it will not happen in the next hour then try removing all of the filtered extensions from the network and connecting the modem/router direct to the socket and see what happens. I have a couple of thoughts but may be wrong - try it and see for a few minutes before returning the connections to normal.

M H C

Standard User PJ02
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 19:35:20
Print Post

5pm exactly it jumped from 8.5 to 15.5 SNR. Will be keeping an eye on it to try and see what time it drops again in the morning.

What were your thoughts?

A

Edited by PJ02 (Thu 29-Dec-11 19:39:23)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 19:44:09
Print Post

Did sync change?

That sounds as though a noise source is being turned off. One example, which was discussed here previously was a shop - plenty of fluorescent lights with old and cheap ballasts causing massive amounts of noise. In the morning - lights on, noise up, SNR drops to below zero, resync at lower speed with 6dB. Evening, lights off, SNR jumps up several dB but no rersync until forced. Could be a shop close to you, a factory, or something else.

Keep RSL running overnight and see when the SNR drops and then wait for tomorrow PM to see what happens at 17:00.

M H C

Standard User PJ02
(regular) Fri 30-Dec-11 09:31:20
Print Post

So we managed to get the huge SNR sweep they have been experiencing.

30th Decemeber Night

There was a resync at 21:58 from 4.8 @ 15.5 SNR to 6.4 @ 9 SNR which then increased to 14.5 SNR, back down to 9 this morning @ 8:33am and finally 2.5SNR at 9:10am which it is at atm.

This Morning

Edited by PJ02 (Fri 30-Dec-11 09:31:42)

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 30-Dec-11 10:12:16
Print Post

Dial 17070 take the option for the quiet line test.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 30-Dec-11 10:26:11
Print Post

That looks so much like a noise source being switched on and off. Was the resync automatic or manual?

You need to run it for several days - it will auto save the graphs if set up correctly. Make sure you have set the sampling to 1 minute ...

Then compare day to day for times especially over the weekend and holiday.

M H C

Standard User InQ
(member) Fri 30-Dec-11 14:54:35
Print Post

I think it would be better using the DG834GT as you can use the full Routerstats package to monitor the line.

It does look like something is hitting the SNR during the day as others have mentioned, is the central heating or something else timed to come on during the day?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to