Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Amanha
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 09:17:29
Print Post

Weird Issue - Phone cutting off broadband

[link to this post]

First post on thinkbroadband (:

Okay, since around the 15th of December, my phone has decided to hate my broadband. Originally, I thought it was a linefault, told Plusnet its a fault bla bla bla. I changed everything except the phone on the master socket, which seems where the issue lies!

Plusnet tell me that they havent seen any disconnections at their end, but the weird thing is the router (On the Router Status Page, tells me that the modem disconnected, but in the Connection Status page, it tells me that it was connected throughout!

So, I tested the line with three phones: One corded BT, and two cordless panasonic phones (same model, different colour) and found the following:

BT CORDED: Doesnt disconnect when reciving an incoming call or making an outgoing one

PANASONIC 1: Disconnects when reciving calls and disconnects when making an outgoing one

PANASONIC 2: Same thing as one, but internet stays connected for six seconds longer before the DSL and Internet light goes out on the DGND3300.

(I posted about this on the plusnet forums, theres sync-drop patterns, which can be seen from the photos I posted at the following link: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1011... )

I really need a stable internet connection, I got about a million gcse modules in the next month and use my internet to revise!

Thanks,
Aman.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 03-Jan-12 11:20:14
Print Post

Re: Weird Issue - Phone cutting off broadband

[re: Amanha] [link to this post]

It seems like your cordless phones are the problem. Do they share the same filter as the corded phone? If not perhaps the filter needs changing.
Standard User Amanha
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 12:57:06
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

The cordless phones arent used similtaniousley - i had a spare that I tested and both exert the same issue!

Ive changed pretty much everything! Including router!

All sockets are filtered, I tried doublefiltering the phone to see if that sorted it - it didnt.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(learned) Thu 05-Jan-12 16:04:23
Print Post

[re: Amanha] [link to this post]

Hi Aman

Some things first to put your mind at rest, which you raised in the PlusNet thread. 1) Different modems do achieve different sync speeds, some are just better than others 2) each resync will be a slightly different speed and will always vary over time of day (worse at night) 3) plugging out a phone cable causes a big noise spike which can disconnect the ADSL. These things are all normal and do not indicate a problem.

With a phone disconnecting ADSL issue, the main suspects are a) the ADSL filter b) the phone and c) the exchange equipment

I would like you to do some tests as a first step. Simply plug a brand new ADSL filter into the test socket and connect the modem/router only without a phone. Then ring home from your mobile (many times) and see if this genuinely triggers a disconnection. If it does, can you poll the stats as fast as your router allows and look at the noise margins while ringing. Look especially the upload noise margin, does it dip down and cause a disconnection?
  Print Thread

Jump to