Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:03:47
Print Post

BT Drop Wire - Cable Clips

[link to this post]

Hi All,

My BT drop wire is attached to the wall, and then runs down the house to my study. In the recent winds the clips have all popped out, and the wire is flapping around freely. It doesn't help that I still have an old "triangle" wall fixing plate on the wire from a time when the whole thing came away from the wall.

As this is on the BT side of the connection, should they be liable to come a re-fix it to the wall? Would i be chargable?

I'm happy to do it myself, but not if I can/should get them to do it.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN 8000 Pro
Draytek Vigor 2600g -> Vigor 2710n
Down Speed Synch: 8128000
Up Speed Synch: 448000

What I get:
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jan-12 15:14:32
Print Post

Re: BT Drop Wire - Cable Clips

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

Not sure on the chargeability issue.

If it was my property would get suitable replacement clips and fit them. Just making sure not to damage cable

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 05-Jan-12 16:16:43
Print Post

Technically you could get BT out to do it ... but persuading them customer service person that it needs doing will be difficult and secondly it will be way down the list of priorities and you could wait weeks or months!

Easiest to do it your self - BT use Tower Clips - and probably 6-7 mm (4-5 may be a little tight - depending on te drop wire). Do not go too small or you can crush the cable. If you don't have any - any electrical wholesaler should have them in stock (Screwfix only do white) and they are around £1.50/box

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TimLaduk
(learned) Thu 05-Jan-12 17:22:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Personally i would not touch it, the drop wire is BT responsibility I would ring and explain how its been damaged and you have safety concerns it it falls it will get fixed quick..
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 05-Jan-12 17:50:00
Print Post

You're not allowed to touch the BT cable from your master socket. (strictly speaking ...)

It's years since I called BT because the wall bracket securing the overhead cable that feeds my house from a distribution pole across the road was pulling out of its fixings following severe gales. I called at 8.30pm and left automated message as soon as I noticed it, the technician arrived at 8.30am next day and left about 9am.
  Print Thread

Jump to