Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kazaam
(newbie) Sat 07-Jan-12 15:56:50
Print Post

ADSL Broadband slows down until reboot

[link to this post]

My ADSL broadband, on TalkTalk slows down every 2-3 hours I find and it works fantastic when I reboot.

My download speed is 4Mbps after a reboot, and at pingtest.net, I get an A, however, after a wee while, these sites struggle to load.

I have my own router. I have tried a Linksys X2000 which I am using right now and I have the same problem with my Netgear DGN2000.

What could be wrong?
This is really frustrating!! frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Jan-12 21:47:53
Print Post

Re: ADSL Broadband slows down until reboot

[re: kazaam] [link to this post]

You need initially to look at the router stats i.e. attenuation, noise margins and connection speeds and see if the noise margin is lowering to a very poor level eventually

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Jan-12 22:09:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

most of 'em in his X-post!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kazaam
(newbie) Sun 08-Jan-12 23:15:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My ADSL broadband, on TalkTalk slows down every 2-3 hours I find and it works fantastic when I reboot.

My download speed is 4Mbps after a reboot, and at pingtest.net, I get an A, however, after a wee while, these sites struggle to load, and furthermore my ping score pingtest.net increases to above 1000ms/ F

I have my own router. I have tried a Linksys X2000 which I am using right now and I have the same problem with my Netgear DGN2000.

What could be wrong?
This is really frustrating!!

I have tried registering with TT Forums, but it says I don't exist, must be because I ave been transferred from Pipex...

Here are details:

1. What exchange are you connected to? Blantyre
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have? 1
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket? Yes
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket? Yes
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection? N/A
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate? Yes
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket? Yes
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service? No
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)? Cisco Linksys X2000 and Netgear DGN 2000
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model) Yes, as above, tried both routers
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter? N/A
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead? Yes (But using the short cable provided with router into the master socket faceplate seems to bring up the same problem)
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up? (Can't see that??)
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up? (Downstream - 5208kbps) and (Upstream - 985kbps)
12. What is your attenuation down and up? down - 52db and up - 30.4db
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time? No
14. Are you currently using Wireless? Yes
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line? Yes

This is a really frustrating problem and I would appreciate any help/suggestions

I don't seem to be experiencing any disconnections as such, just very slow internet speeds, which go as low as 0.2Mbps (download)

If this is not sorted soon, I will definitely be moving away from TalkTalk. Phoned their customer support yesterday, was abysmal, the guy, was obviously reading off some troubleshooting guide asking me the same questions, and kept mentioning disconnections and things which I had not stated as being the problem, finally to reach the conclusion that "We cannot troubleshoot with you any further as you are not using one of our supported routers". I then got put through to Customer Services who want me to take out a new 12 month contract before they will supply me with a new free router, and I am not willing to pay for one. The agent emphasises how the contract would be cheaper, but HELL NO, I don't want to get roped into a contract if I have to spend my life rebooting the router!

I cannot find SNR on either router!

Using speedtest.net, my internet speed slows from 4.5ish mbps to 0.8-1mbps sometimes ~2mbps.

Edited by kazaam (Sun 08-Jan-12 23:15:53)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jan-12 03:44:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by kazaam:
I cannot find SNR on either router!
Seek "Noise Margin" or any noisy thing!

Decide which of your x-posts you are running with & delete other. I choose this as earlier.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User JoshRooney
(regular) Tue 10-Jan-12 10:02:23
Print Post

This sounds like it could be a high resistance fault on the line. This could be caused by corrosion of the various joints in your telephone line.

Does the phone line work ok? Is there any crackling/noise on it?

If there is it's worth getting BT to look at it, as no matter where you move to the problem will likely remain.
  Print Thread

Jump to