I am subscriber of BE*s Unlimited package for perhaps 5yrs. Never a problem; synced at 17~18Mbps, Very happy. Until the last two years. Where this eventually dropped to 16 then 15. With intermitent instability. This eventually became worse and in the last 3 months has become terrible.
My connection would drop several times during the day. Sometimes going through extended periods of resyncing. Last night alone I sat through an hour of the router trying to re-sync. I wouldn't be surprised if it continued on through the night. I've called BE who've gone through their protocol which did help for a short amount time:
-their usual tests
-quiet line test through test socket
-ran router on test socket for a couple of days
-change ADSL cable
Things I've done to try and help:
#Before I had problems#
-Eliminated all additional extensions and wiring
-Part of that was unwiring the extensions from the back of the master socket's A & B terminals (Yes I know I'm not meant to touch them but this was done when I didn't have problems [few years back] and was generally trying to optimise my line. Plus how hard is it to remove and replace wires on the back of the faceplate without messing up. The BT engineer who eventually came didn't make any comment about my handywork).
-Began using a faceplate filter similar to the one on ADSLnation. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of the same factory in China/Taiwan.
-Relocated router onto the wall beside master socket
One day my phone died with the router plugged in. Take router out, phone works. Tried several filters, same. BE sent me a new router, TG582n, and I sent back my 'faulty' TG585v7. Stabalised it but soon was dropping sync too.
Contacted BE again regarding this they then sent a BT engineer who couldn't find a problem. So he switched me onto another pair just incase and updated my NTE5 socket to a new Openreach one. Still had problems. contacted BE who thenput me 24hr monitoring, week long monitoring and testing with which they setteled on a 12dB SNR downstream. Helped, but that was also short lived.
I started to do some research and came across the "high resistance fault" which in my eyes seems to be very similar to what's going on with me. More so because some of the periods of re-syncing coincide with the weather. But before I started screaming [censored] Mary I figuered it would best if I asked around and tapped into some experienced minds.
P.S. I do apologise if this seems a little incoherent. I just woke up =/
P.P.S. I have a Netgear DG834G v4 at my disposal to carry out tests if need be. Although it's on loan to my crazy friend who's flashed it with DGTeam firmware in an attempt to get his line stable on 1~2dB SNR. I call him crazy because he does things like undertake DIY which he has confidence and knowledge in but no skill or experience. Like plastering over his brother-in-law's tv antenna feed, moving his master socket from his front door to his room upstairs i.e. pull it out, drill, re-pin it to the wall, cut it and re-wire. Plus other stuff which should have it's own thread.
P.P.P.S. I've got Routerstats logging my connection today, Funnily enough now that I have it logging there's been no re-syncs. Although there are spikes of 100dB on my upstream SNR coinciding with the phone being in use.
Edited by ferret141 (Sun 08-Jan-12 22:37:27)