Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trelales
(newbie) Sun 15-Jan-12 20:49:03
Print Post

Fibre Optic Broadband

[link to this post]

I am hoping for some advice on the following problem.

I want to upgrade to fibre optic broadband. It is available in my area. The problem I have is my house is over 100 years old and is built of stone. My computer is upstairs and internet access is via a netgear DG834 wireless router connected via ethernet cable. I only have one computer.

Wireless access to my downstairs to my tablet is "iffy". One bar or perhaps two bars at the most.

Now I understand that any fibre optic broadband is connected to my main BT socket, which in my house is downstairs, and then the signal is wireless around the house.

So if I can only get a limited wireless single at present from upstairs to downstairs surely the same will apply the other way.

I am loathe to spend money until I am sure that I can get the faster speed and consistent signal to my upstairs computer.

Any advice on how I can achieve this?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Jan-12 21:09:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre Optic Broadband

[re: trelales] [link to this post]

BT Infinity comes with a separate modem and router. The modem connects to your master and the router connects to the modem using ethernet. As long as you order the "Home Wiring Solution" the installer will wire up the router where you want it. The router offers both wired ethernet and wireless connections.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:31:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Or install your own ethernet wiring, or utilise HomePlug devices

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Mon 16-Jan-12 18:24:44
Print Post

as MrS has already said, I would use Powerline plugs in your house. Go for the 500M ones...

IanD
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Mon 16-Jan-12 22:22:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by trelales:
I am hoping for some advice on the following problem.

I want to upgrade to fibre optic broadband. It is available in my area. The problem I have is my house is over 100 years old and is built of stone. My computer is upstairs and internet access is via a netgear DG834 wireless router connected via ethernet cable. I only have one computer.

Wireless access to my downstairs to my tablet is "iffy". One bar or perhaps two bars at the most.

Now I understand that any fibre optic broadband is connected to my main BT socket, which in my house is downstairs, and then the signal is wireless around the house.

So if I can only get a limited wireless single at present from upstairs to downstairs surely the same will apply the other way.

I am loathe to spend money until I am sure that I can get the faster speed and consistent signal to my upstairs computer.

Any advice on how I can achieve this?

If you don't want to get the Master Socket moved to upstairs then you'll have to install the router next to the Openreach modem downstairs. You then need to get an Ethernet connection upstairs.

If WiFi is flaky then you could buy a repeater to boost the signal upstairs. Even with Wireless N 300Mbps, you might not be able to get the full potential out of your FTTC connection on your upstairs computer.

The more reliable bet is to install an Ethernet cable between the router downstairs and the upstairs computer.

However, if your house is old and installing an ethernet cable is problematic then you can use Homeplug adapters. I use Netgear XAVB5501s in exactly this configuration, and get in excess of 100Mbps throughput between my router connected server downstairs and my PC upstairs, so am sure this will be more than adequate for FTTC when it arrives soon (hopefully!).
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 17-Jan-12 12:59:15
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

Alternatively use Homeplugs to bridge the Ethernet connection between the modem and the router; allowing the wireless access point to sit upstairs (or wherever is convenient for best coverage)

-==-
DougM
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:23:56
Print Post

If you want wifi throughout the home, then as been said use home plug adapters and install one wifi access point downstairs and another connected upstairs to the other home plug, that should give you coverage upstairs and downstairs.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to