Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User John_Gray
(learned) Fri 20-Jan-12 19:46:07
Print Post

Ring wire removed from BT master socket - what now?

[link to this post]

SamKnows indicates that for the distance to the exchange, my friend should be getting about 7 Mbps on her ADSL connection. However, she's in fact getting about 3.6 Mbps download speed around lunchtime on a Friday (when fairly quiet?), so I suspected that there might be a problem with the ring wire being connected at the BT master socket. It was, and I've now disconnected it.

A few questions result:
a) how long need she wait before seeing an increase in download speed (if there will actually be one)?
b) should the modem/router be restarted, or left well alone? If it should be restarted, how often?

Any other things I should know, please? Thanks!

Edited by John_Gray (Fri 20-Jan-12 19:47:57)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jan-12 19:55:29
Print Post

Re: Ring wire removed from BT master socket - what now?

[re: John_Gray] [link to this post]

Get your LineStats

You will have rebooted when you disconnected wires; sufficient. You should see Sync speed change immediate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User John_Gray
(learned) Fri 20-Jan-12 20:04:36
Print Post

Re: Ring wire removed from BT master socket - what now?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks; I won't get back there until next Friday, unfortunately.

The router is a rather ancient looking Thomson box, probably SpeedTouch? The original sync speed was 4 Mbps, I think, but I didn't take the other figures. Or try the speed test again after removing the ring wire (and the phone wire's plug from the faceplate) since I though we might be talking days before seeing any improvement!

I'll print out your link and investigate. Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to