Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swampygirl
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 07:58:23
Print Post

ZOOM ADSL X6 MODEM & CONNECTION PROBS

[link to this post]

Hello there
I'm new to this forum and hope there are some PC savvy peeps out there that can throw some light onto my problem.
Got a Zoom adsl x6 modem and I keep losing internet connection although the internet light is on a steady green most of the time.
When I check the settings, sometimes it's ok other times I have to input the details.
I have to keep disconnecting it, wait a few mins then reconnect the cables then re-set the modem again.
Could it be my modem, I have had it for around six years and up until I moved to another part of the UK in 2009, it has been brilliant.

I've had three error notifications, e.g.

1. Webserver: failed to obtain write lock on IM.

2. Error 678.

3. Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. this is
probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall
settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).

I turned off my firewalls and still no joy. I'm not PC savvy so anyone kind enough to reply to my problen, please use layman's terms. Thx.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 09:01:39
Print Post

Re: ZOOM ADSL X6 MODEM & CONNECTION PROBS

[re: swampygirl] [link to this post]

The error messages look unusual, and a google suggests this may be because you are using PPPoE ?

Do you click an icon in Windows to connect to the internet?
The other messages appear to be down to an AOL browser - does that sound right?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User swampygirl
(newbie) Thu 02-Feb-12 12:20:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Mr Saffron
To get onto the internet I click Start and then Internet. Once connection is established, I either type in a search or use the drop down list in my favourites.
You mentioned PPPoE. Yes I do use that. That's the way my ISP told me to connect. If there is a better way, I'll try anything to see if it works.
Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 13:44:09
Print Post

[re: swampygirl] [link to this post]

You are one of a handful in the UK using this method I suspect. First I've seen post to our forums.

Fortunately have used ADSL where PPPoE is more common.

Which ISP, generally PPPoA and all the details being set in the router is the preferred method?

Do have a good read before doing anything, and if unsure come back to us with questions.

http://www.zoomtel.com/documentation/adsl/5690_UserM...

At point c - the router auto detects the best connection type, dont worry too much what it picks, just enter the username and password the ISP gave you.

For VPI use 0
For VCI use 38
For encapsulation if it detected PPPoA earlier select VC-MUX
If it found PPPoE use PPPoE LLC

The VPI/VCI may vary, as a few providers in the UK use different ones. If you browse around the router screens you might find out what the current ones are.

By doing PPPoA or PPPoE in the router you should get a more stable service.

Follow the instructions that are for Mac and Linux users (and windows users where CD will not run)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-12 19:34:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You are one of a handful in the UK using this method I suspect. First I've seen post to our forums.
AOL has *always* used PPPoE

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:26:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Even before BT Wholesale supported it?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:48:31
Print Post

e.g. in 2003 - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6332885

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:51:12
Print Post

Posted by a user in San Francisco California

Trust me I have used an AOL connection in the UK and PPPoE was handled by the router, though usually PPPoA would also work.

Have also seen it in the US, hence why I figured it may be PPPoE dialup taking place.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Feb-12 21:55:28
Print Post

Yes, I had an AOL dsl connection in 2006 and that used PPPoE. There are lots of posts on this site regarding AOL and PPPoE.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Feb-12 22:41:10
Print Post

NOTE: Not denying they did not use PPPoE, if you read what I said, they used the PPPoE embedded in the routers.

Print Thread

Jump to