Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spd
(member) Thu 09-Feb-12 23:49:41
Print Post

Slower sync on standard stability than on stable. Why?

[link to this post]

Evening all,

Around a year ago, I experienced a significant drop in sync speed and discovered that I'd ended up with a banded profile of 3-6Mbps. My ISP arranged for the banding to be removed.

I then asked my ISP to enable the stable stability option on my line due to the frequent drops I'd been experiencing.

There was no real improvement in sync so I invested in a new router. My sync rose within days from 68xx to 109xx.

My line's been very stable for the last year, so I asked my ISP to return me to standard stability.

They've done so, but my sync has dropped to 101xx. The positive is that my ping has dropped from 32ms to 11ms, but I can't understand why my sync has dropped, rather than risen. My router is holding sync very well.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA,

Simon.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 01:58:29
Print Post

Re: Slower sync on standard stability than on stable. Why?

[re: spd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by spd:
The positive is that my ping has dropped from 32ms to 11ms
Usually indicative of switch from Interleaved to Fast Path but usually the Sync goes up when that happens.

Post your full router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Fri 10-Feb-12 10:06:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

What are your currently SNR ratios in both Downstream and upstream?? Changing to FASTPath may reduce the latencies in general but the inherent errors may increase too, leading to your increase of SNRs and consequently lowering your Syns speeds as well.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User spd
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 22:30:15
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

SNR Down 5.9 Up 6.9
Attenuation Down 27.0 Up 9.1
Output Power Down (Reads as Zero) Up 12.9
Attainable rate Down 12940 Up 1024
Actual rate Down 10191 Up 1019

TIA,

SPD.

Edited by spd (Fri 10-Feb-12 22:37:02)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 23:25:23
Print Post

With those stats your sync should be up in the 17 Meg region and you are worrying about a mere 0.8 Meg drop? Something badly wrong there frown.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 11-Feb-12 15:31:10
Print Post

I agreed that your STAT shows about 6db SNR downstream with merely 27db associated line attenuation, and as such your should be getting much higher Sync speed! Also your current SNR is around 6db mark, which is NOT too high either.
Something is dreadfully wrong here!! Did you try resetting your modem and let it power up again??

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-12 16:16:41
Print Post

Are you stalking me? This is the 2nd time!

Standard User spd
(member) Sat 11-Feb-12 16:17:49
Print Post

I have, in fact, there's some history to this.

Around two years ago (2010), we had one of those scheduled power cuts when the national grid plan to do some work in the area. The power outage lasted about two hours, and we were out during this time.

When we arrived home, our Sky box was making some very odd noises (like a relay quickly cycling on and off) - it was basically fried.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that I noticed that my adsl sync speed had dropped, despite previously being able to achieve 8128, I was now only getting about 6500...

On the 8th January last year (2011), I was moved onto ADSL2+. My sync rose quite noticably, to over 11meg.

About 3 months later I experienced a severe loss of sync. It took a while for my router to re-acieve sync. Once it did so, I was only able to sync at 6655. I discovered that I'd got stuck on a banded profile. BT removed the banding, but my sync speed only rose to 68xx.

I bought a new router and that resulted in me re-acquiring 11meg. This co-incided with the stable stability setting being enabled on my line.

Which brings us to where we are now, last week, I was returned to standard stability, but unfortunately sync dropped, rather than rose.

I have tried connecting my router directly to the master socket (previously, but not for about a year and a half). No real improvement.

Could the power surge we experienced have caused a problem internally? I'm not sure that this is the case, having connected directly to the master socket and turning off all internal electrical items.

Or could the problem be more widespread (i.e. affecting the whole estate)?

Interestingly, broadband availability checkers suggest that I should get 11meg on average.

TIA,

SPD.
Standard User spd
(member) Sat 11-Feb-12 17:20:14
Print Post

LOL. But the first AFAIK with the new router. I think that the only reason I stopped pursuing the issue last time is that the new router gave me a big jump, from 68xx to around 11meg.

I don't recall trying this one in the master socket. If I do, and there's no improvement, where do I go next? Is there a possibility that even with my stats, that the problem is exterior to my house, and if so, where is the problem likely to originate - the exchange, ISP, cabinet (assuming there is one)?

TIA,

SPD.

Edited by spd (Sat 11-Feb-12 18:11:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-12 18:08:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by spd:
Interestingly, broadband availability checkers suggest that I should get 11meg on average.
Not very interesting! They are only an estimate based on unreliable BT data. They are not aware of your attenuation; we are!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to