Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gwapenut
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 09:02:43
Print Post

Broadband only available from one socket in my house

[link to this post]

Hi
Broadband is only available from one socket in my house, the masyter with the proper BT OpenReach faceplate.

Now I l know that I-Plates stop broadband being sent round all the extensions ... but the extensions are not derived from this socket. It seems to be a later adition, and the only (4) individual wires within it are all used within this socket (green/white, blue/white combinations).

Any idea what else might stop broadband from being available in my other sockets? Also have an old ISDN plate near this, which probably dates nearer the time when the extensions were put in, could there be any technology in there stopping broadband?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Feb-12 18:29:12
Print Post

Re: Broadband only available from one socket in my house

[re: gwapenut] [link to this post]

An IPlate does not stop the broadband, it simply reduces the effect of the unbalanced third wire, that is the ring wire.

If the extensions are NOT derived from the master socket, then where are they derived from? By definition all extension wiring should be via the master socket.

The ISDN plate will cause havoc with broadband, and may be slowing you down even using the master socket. Time to take a good clear look at the wiring and remove redundant hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sat 11-Feb-12 19:08:24
Print Post

[re: gwapenut] [link to this post]

Extensions must come from somewhere. Guessing the old isdn plate.

At carolines parents the main incoming drop wire from the pole as overhead in that village, this wire splits off on the front wall above the main door and goes to the incoming bt socket with the electyronics in like yours and the old splitter box outside as another go through the wall to the only other one in the bedroom. Don't get this as extensions like Andrew says come from the removable front plate of the master but you only have the 1 cable and this has 2 wires going to A and B I guess, if you take the whole thing off the wall to get to the back.

Strange one. need to find the other end of the extension cables, might only be one if the cable daisy chains to the first extension and then on to the other and another, what ever you have. We have loads and some have their own wire and others 2 as easier and less wire ( so better for me , less cost!) they have the 2 wires as then go on to another extension.

Find the extension cables and do this.

Some say 2 3 and 4

what I done is 2 4 and 5, not done 3 as the ring wire but 4 might not be needed as it turned out in this post so 2 and 5.

Follow instructions and me I wound not do pin 3 as ring wire and can cause noise but the iplate thing you have gets around that so try 2 and 5 I guess and 3 and 4 if you want.

Sure other will argue but noo filter plate here so removed the ring wire and did 4 as what I found where different instruction and what I had did not say 4 was not needed. Sure I have a phone that wont work on 2 wire so maybe do the lot!.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4090977-ext...

Lets see who moans now, always do but I try and say what works for me and goes in the new build that was not wired up and here when I rewired.

goes for me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gwapenut
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 19:46:41
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks guys Ill take a more indepth look. THere's definitely some fanning out done from a black plastic box high up on the side of the house, near the overhead line - it splits into 2 or 3, one going to where the extension socket is.

I need a good look at it ... BB speed is not bad though, typically 5M-6M and close to 1M upload, and I'm not right next to the exchange
  Print Thread

Jump to