Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wowwee
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 14:42:38
Print Post

Adjusting SNR results in no change to sync

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved on to a new connection using a Be LLU reseller. My sync speed was around ~15Mb.

I had some issues with my router where I had to reconnect several times within a short space of time, and now my sync speed does not get above ~12Mb. So I lowered the SNR margin on my router from 6db to 3db but the sync speed remains roughly the same (it can be different by a few kilobits).

Is it likely that my profile was capped due to the amount of restarts? Or could it be my router?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 27-Feb-12 14:53:27
Print Post

Re: Adjusting SNR results in no change to sync

[re: wowwee] [link to this post]

Did you lower the SNR margin in the Be control panel? Did you restart your ADSL router afterwards?
Standard User wowwee
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 14:57:28
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I am with a reseller so I do not have access to a control panel. I lowered the SNR from the router itself, and line stats showed that it had changed.

However, I did not restart my router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wowwee
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 15:08:49
Print Post

Also, increasing SNR has little effect... in fact, the sync increased!

Upstream 1338
Downstream 12281
SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.5
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 19.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 31.0

Upstream 1317
Downstream 12287
SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.1
SNR Margin(Downstream) 9.8
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 18.8
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 31.0

Edited by wowwee (Mon 27-Feb-12 15:12:04)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Feb-12 15:13:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by wowwee:
Hi,

I recently moved on to a new connection using a Be LLU reseller. My sync speed was around ~15Mb.

I had some issues with my router where I had to reconnect several times within a short space of time, and now my sync speed does not get above ~12Mb. So I lowered the SNR margin on my router from 6db to 3db but the sync speed remains roughly the same (it can be different by a few kilobits).

Is it likely that my profile was capped due to the amount of restarts? Or could it be my router?
Check to make sure you are not on the lite, value type package as they are sometimes capped at 12mb (the same as be retail) Think only xilo offer 16mb on that product, if you are on a upto 24mbit, then ask your isp to change the profile for you, (don't forget to undo the changes made via you router before they change it, the other thing that would give you a poor sync is if the inp is set to 2, ask for this to be changed too, options are 0.(AKAfastpath)1.& 2 2 being the default value(is for be retail)
Target snr has 3 settings 3,6,9 db 6 db is the default

Standard User wowwee
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 15:39:40
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Yes, I am with Xilo. I will send them a ticket.

According to another post INP1 may not be available.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Feb-12 15:53:29
Print Post

If that turns out to be the case then you could always try Fastpath (interleave &inp disabled) if the line ain't too bad or is subjected to lots of interference from outside sources , then it should work without problems , only way to find out is try it, then if there is a problem you can always swap back again, you could say haver a 3db margin and inp2 , or you could upgrade to the upto24mbit (if your attenuation isn't very high ) because the higher it is the lower the available sync,normally with a attenuation of around 31-32db with a 3db margin and fastpath i have had around 18.4mbit ADSL2 +, if on annex M i get around 16.5-17 mbit
but with the target margin set to 6db and inp set to 2 my sync is a phewny 13-13.5 mibt, Annex M so would be around 14.5.15bit on ADSL2+

Print Thread

Jump to