Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User saece1
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 16:12:48
Print Post

Broadband help!

[link to this post]

Hello guys i reacently moved into a new property i've not been able to get broadband there yet as the previous tennent moved there account to a new address and somethings gone wrong with BT so there line in my house is still active and also at there new house, when i try and get sky to give me net here it gets rejected by BT as they send a letter to the old tennets new house and they say no!

Yet between all the call centers no one can do anything as there useless so im stuck laugh

So my problem, i borrowed a Homehub of a friend and tried it, can get online phew! but the line here is beyond bad, so bad im considering selling up as i can't be doing with such an unstable connection!

Im hoping maybe though i can get it a bit better for what i want and thats were you guys come in!

I get 4-5 DC's at least a day, i have one telephone socket with a microfiler and if i pick up the phone the net dc's and the line crackles until it reconnects the the line goes quiet again.I've removed the faceplate and tried the test socket nothing really changed.

tried 3 microfilters and nothing changed.

here are the router stats

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.5 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 61.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 16.2 dBm / 12.6 dBm

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 0:23:38
Downstream 896 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 33481 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 81 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 16373

Also i've linked 2 images of where the wire enters it looks a bit dodgy to me but then i know nothing tongue

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/iphone097.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/iphone098z....

i hope someone has a magical soloution! just want a stable connection for my gaming habit :/

many thanks in advance
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Mar-12 16:35:02
Print Post

Re: Broadband help!

[re: saece1] [link to this post]

Do you pay line rental on the phone line?

Do you get any noise on BT Quiet Line test (17070 Opt 2) when plugged into test socket with router disconned? If so, report to BT as a voice fault.

You have a long line so you'll never get much more than 2 Meg Sync.

That pix does not look like a master socket. What's the front look like?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User saece1
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 16:44:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

When i did the quiet test without anything but the phone plugged in it was silent.

no i dont pay line rental, i think something has gone wrong on Bt's end when the last owner moved they had there line moved over but the old line is still active when i try and take over the line BT write to the people at there new adress and ask if they want to cancel or something and ofcourse they say no as they think it's there current line being cancelled they have spoken to BT about it, but nothing is done!

I know im far from the exchange and the speed when it syncs at 1.5mb is fine for gaming pings always very low, just unstable!

In the Pic is where the LIne comes in from outside, it connects to that funny box then runs along the wall to the Telephone socket which is a standered not openreach old type one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 09-Mar-12 17:23:04
Print Post

Using Sky as an ISP ("when i try and get sky to give me net here") will make no difference to the speeds you get. The speed you will get is limited by the quality of your phone line from home to exchange, which will be the same whichever ISP you use.
Standard User saece1
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 17:28:04
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
Using Sky as an ISP ("when i try and get sky to give me net here") will make no difference to the speeds you get. The speed you will get is limited by the quality of your phone line from home to exchange, which will be the same whichever ISP you use.
[/quote

Yep well aware of that but why pay thru the nose for [censored] speeds when i get it free with my tv package! tongue

Just trying to see if there is anything i can do my end to get a more stable experience until BT sort out the line/account issue
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Mar-12 20:01:03
Print Post

The green/black pair connected makes me suspicious, the orange/white is the first pair in the dropwire, so has some clever sod swapped it rather than replace it ?

Any chance of pictures of the main socket with the cover removed, and also a good clear close up of the BT78 (the little white connection box) with the lid off ?

Standard User saece1
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 21:27:42
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

yeah i will try and sort them pictures out for you! asap!
Standard User saece1
(newbie) Fri 09-Mar-12 21:41:58
Print Post

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/new002b.jpg/
and
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/new005.jpg/

sorry the quality is not great my old iphone camera is pants!

On th elittle box as you said the orange and white wire are not connected on the telephone socket ther eis just 2 green and white wires connecting it, blue/orange are not connected
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 10-Mar-12 13:50:21
Print Post

May be wrong, but looks like the junction box is terminating the external cable (not odd at all), and hard to tell but are the wires joined using little crimps that look like http://www.telephone-wiring.co.uk/ekmps/shops/tns06/...

The job does not look as neat as I would expect from BT usually, so may be a bodge by a landlord, BT would usually be neater.

The wiring may be fine for ADSL, the sync speeds are low due to the target noise margin looking to be set to 15dB, which knocks a Meg or two off the speed. Now if the lack of twists in wiring are picking up noise, putting a gentle twist on the wires will help, if when you get a provider giving you service they allow a lower target margin.

IMPORTANT: Resolving the problem with the line is down to who you are signing up to, i.e. they are meant to take the lead and resolve the problems.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Sat 10-Mar-12 13:52:56)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User saece1
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 17:42:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes they are connected using them things! so nothing i can do my end? can't phone up and ask for support as it's not my line until BT sort out there systems frown very frustrating!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to