Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drkash
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 18:20:29
Print Post

Slow & Intermittent Broadband - HELP!

[link to this post]

I'm on Orange Broadband. My usual speed is around 2-3mbs ([censored] I know). One month ago I started with slow speed, around 0.1mbps, and also intermittent connection. I called Orange on several occasions, tried resetting modem, wired connection to test socket etc, they eventually said they needed to do an SNR reset which was done on the 25th Feb. Initiallly it seemed to not disconnect but after 5 days this started again and the speed didn't improve. So I called back and was told I needed a new modem so was sent the new Orange BrighBox (upgrading from Netgear). This didn't make a difference so when I called back I was told I had to wait the 10 days after SNR reset. After this time still no change, so I was told I needed another SNR reset as the first one wasn't done! (This chap must have been lying as several people told me it had been done - despite arguing with him and asking for a supervisor I got nowhere and this was done again on 10th March). A few days later as still the same problem I called back and was told there was a "block on the line" which had now been removed and that "after the 10 days from SNR reset it will definitely improve" - for 2 hours I got a speed of 1.5mbps but since then either speeds of 0.13mbps or mostly no connection for >6hrs at a time - just the usual slow flashing globe light on the modem. Have called Orange several times and all I get is that I have to wait for the 10 days since SNR reset to complete before anything further can be done!

I'm really annoyed that this is taking so long to rectify. I don't understand if after the first SNR reset the problem didn't resolve why will it now. Also is it normal for intermittent connections after a SNR reset?

Help appreciated

Current Speedtest:
Download 0.33mbps
Upload 0.37mbps
Ping 70ms

From Modem page...
Broadband Type: ADSL
Broadband State: Connected
Internet State: Connected
Time Connected: 01:04:05
Downstream Rate: 3776kbps
Upstream Rate: 448kbps

Data Rate Information:
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 448 (Kbps.)
Downstream 3776 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication:
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 18.0 dB 8.4 dB
Line Attenuation 31.5 dB 57.5 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.3 dBm 18.9 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 986 86
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 10 38
Loss of Signal Defect 343 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 115 21
Error Seconds 175521 0

Edited by drkash (Wed 14-Mar-12 18:22:28)

ISP Representative UKDoc
(isp) Wed 14-Mar-12 18:29:49
Print Post

Re: Slow & Intermittent Broadband - HELP!

[re: drkash] [link to this post]

Hello drkash,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your broadband.

If you Private Message me your details including a contact number, I will escalate this and have someone call you back.

Best Regards

Gavin
Orange Home Broadband

'I am here to help'
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 18:41:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by drkash:
My usual speed is around 2-3mbs ([censored] I know). One month ago I started with slow speed, around 0.1mbps
These speeds you keep taking about, are they Connection Speeds or throughput?
Downstream 3776 (Kbps.)
Does this keep changing at the times you keep talking about? Cuz it's about right for your line and no amount "SNR reset" will affect your throughput.

Orange Support seem to got it into their heads that only a Orange BrighBox router will work on their BB and cure any issue. Some hopes! grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User drkash
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 20:12:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

These speeds you keep taking about, are they Connection Speeds or throughput?

These are the download speeds I get on Speedtest.net - anything from 0.09 - 0.33 mbps most of the time.
On BT Speedtest I've had speeds of 77kbps+
Downstream 3776 (Kbps.) Does this keep changing at the times you keep talking about?

I can't remember all the downstreams, but do remeber it fluctuating, definitely remember having 448kbps
Orange Support seem to got it into their heads that only a Orange BrighBox router will work on their BB and cure any issue

The only + through all this is that the Brightbox definitely has a better wireless signal in my house compared to the Netgear
Standard User drkash
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 20:20:00
Print Post

[re: UKDoc] [link to this post]

UKDoc, will PM you now, thanks.

The main frustration through all this is that I must have phoned technical support at least 20 times in the past 3 weeks, each time on the call for 15mins+. Every person I speak to doesn't seem to read through the notes before and gets me to do all the same tests again. I was promised a call back for the past 3 days and each day I didn't receive one! Got really p***ed off today when yesterday I was told I would receive call back today but when I didnt and eventually called them I was told "someone spoke to you this morning and has now closed the fault as its resolved" - they either lie or are really incompetent. When asked to speak to a supervisor on several different occasions I was always told that there was no one available. Even a complaint to CS has got me nowhere. Aaarghhh
Standard User drkash
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 20:58:47
Print Post

Connection lasted 3.5 hours! Now back to square one. If I'm lucky I'll be back online in the next day or two
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Mar-12 21:01:03
Print Post

Its a pain, but understanding the patterns and systems yourself may be less frustrating in the long run.

Keep a log of the modem connection speeds and noise margins, i.e. check it every couple of hours and particularly if its slow.

Then do the same but using the test socket, if over time this is better, then suggests some changes may be needed to the phone wiring in the home?

Have you come across and understand what the IP Profile is?
It may be this limiting you a lot of the time, rather than a high target noise margin.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User drkash
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 21:40:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Keep a log of the modem connection speeds

When referring to the connection speed do you mean what downstream rate is on modem's status page or the Speedtest?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Mar-12 22:19:44
Print Post

Downstream rate on the modem status page

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 22:58:54
Print Post

I can't remember all the downstreams, but do remember it fluctuating, definitely remember having 448kbps
That's an Upstream connection speed!

You really need to keep an eye on the real connection speed reported by the router. That is of far more importance then the speedtests.

Also what does http://speedtester.bt.com/ report for your line?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to