Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AdvWar
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:46:49
Print Post

Is this setup filtered properly?

[link to this post]

http://i.imgur.com/Sqdge.png

Still having huge issues with the telephone cutting out broadband any time it is used, no dial tone, and attenuations twice what they should be. So, is this setup filtered properly?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:53:34
Print Post

Re: Is this setup filtered properly?

[re: AdvWar] [link to this post]

Looks fine, does the same happen when using the test socket (Accessed by unscrewing faceplate from master socket)?

Got your actual line data when using the various sockets? Double attenuation may indicate a mis-wired extension

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AdvWar
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 14:55:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Router stats are identical at test, master and both extensions, at:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3271 kbps 446 kbps
Line Attenuation 37.5 dB 47.3 dB
Noise Margin 7.1 dB 6.8 dB

Tried changing router and filters as well, no difference, yet Sky insist that it is an issue with the internal wiring.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:08:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by AdvWar:
Router stats are identical at test, master and both extensions, at:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3271 kbps 446 kbps
Line Attenuation 37.5 dB 47.3 dB
Noise Margin 7.1 dB 6.8 dB

Tried changing router and filters as well, no difference, yet Sky insist that it is an issue with the internal wiring.

Are the extensions wired to the back of the lower faceplate of the master socket? i.e. do they all go dead when you remove that to use the test socket?

If so then Sky's assertion is clearly incorrect.

Oh - and what's the little box marked on your diagram between extension 1 and 2?

Edited by GeeTee (Tue 20-Mar-12 15:14:23)

Standard User AdvWar
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:18:48
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

The extensions definitely go dead when the front faceplate is removed from the master socket.

It is the extension cable that is plugged into the front of the 1st extension socket, connecting the second extension socket.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:30:44
Print Post

Generally those types of plug-in extension cables aren't particularly good quality - particularly if they are the flat untwisted core types.

However - if you get the same line stats at the test socket and the issue is the same there it's not worth worrying about for now at least.

Are there any other BT boxes on the line before the master socket (I'm thinking perhaps an older radio filter)?

Also, with just a telephone plugged into the test socket, dial 17070 and take the option for quiet line test. See if you hear any noise at all (pops, crackles, hissing etc.).
Standard User AdvWar
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:38:19
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Even when plugged directly into test socket with no filters, I am getting no dial tone on my telephone. I'm not aware of anything being connected before the master socket, but could be wrong.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 20-Mar-12 15:54:43
Print Post

So with just a telephone into the test socket and no dial tone?

If so raise it as a voice fault without even mentioning broadband in any way. Get the voice fault fixed and more than likely the BB problems will disappear too.

It's usually far easier getting a voice fault progressed quickly without having to jump through a million hoops that BB faults require. Worth double checking with a second wired handset first if you have one - just to rule that out.

Edited by GeeTee (Tue 20-Mar-12 15:55:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Mar-12 16:12:58
Print Post

Are you by road about 2.5 km (1.6 miles) from the exchange building?

NOTE I mean building and NOT the green cabinet in the street.

If yes then the downstream attenuation looks sensible at 37dB. Though I would like to see the stats from a different modem, as the figures look very odd, as upstream attenuation is generally half the downstream attenuation.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AdvWar
(learned) Tue 20-Mar-12 17:38:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Much less than that; prior to the problems on the line downstream attenuation was about 23dB, with upstream about 14dB. I have taken stats from a different modem earlier today, and consistently got downstream at 37-42dB, and upstream at 47-50dB.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to