Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 18:45:20
Print Post

First day :-)

[link to this post]

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly or daft question, but I shall ask it anyway.

Today is my first day of moving to sky from talk talk, and everything has now gone live.

Although I was happy with the speed of my previous supplier, I moved due to them messing me around and costing me money.

My question is, that sky informed me that they would set up the line speed for a max of 4mb and monitor for first 10 days, however when I do a speed test I only get a max of 2mb, despite getting 3mb on talktalk.

I also believe that BT have moved to ASDL 2, although this is on a LLU, over the past week, therefore have I reason to worry or is it to early to tell what my final speed will be?

Thanks in advance !!!
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Mar-12 18:52:45
Print Post

Re: First day :-)

[re: Buckly999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Buckly999:
My question is, that sky informed me that they would set up the line speed for a max of 4mb and monitor for first 10 days, however when I do a speed test I only get a max of 2mb, despite getting 3mb on talktalk.

I have recently moved from O2 to Sky and I get around 512 Kbps less on Sky and I think this is because Sky use conservative settings when their DLM is being used.

In any case I'm not worried as I will be upgrading to Sky FTTC when my exchange is enabled in a few months time although I hope Sky don't use the same conservative settings on their fibre service as well !
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 19:00:28
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

I thought it might be a gamble, but given they estimated the speed between 2-5mbs I thought I might be ok, fingers crossed its just because it's first day.

As for fibre, I doubt we will ever see that here in the sticks, I'm amazed we got 21CN WBC the other week, Not that I have a clue what that is frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Mar-12 19:08:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Buckly999:
I thought it might be a gamble, but given they estimated the speed between 2-5mbs I thought I might be ok, fingers crossed its just because it's first day.

Fingers crossed.

As for fibre, I doubt we will ever see that here in the sticks, I'm amazed we got 21CN WBC the other week, Not that I have a clue what that is frown

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchanges/21cn_ove...

Basically it is to do with getting ADSL2+ broadband with speeds of up to 24 Mbps but obviously you will only get these high speeds if you live close to the exchange.

I know that Sky uses more conservative DLM settings as my SNR margin used to be around 6 dB on O2 (the norm) but is between 8-9 dB on Sky.
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 19:25:04
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

Thanks, it shows 2.5km as the crow flies from the exchange, and I also notice it is located across from the pub I go to, must admit it seems to be much longer when I walking home at night after a few!!
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 23-Mar-12 21:16:56
Print Post

wait for the 10 days and then look at it then. Mine changed after 4-5 days & then stabalised

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to