Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hj02476
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:37:28
Print Post

Speed issues with Tesco.net broadband

[link to this post]

I'm having trouble with my Tesco.net broadband. I've found that the speed of the connection is slow, but for some weird reason it gets much much faster if I'm using the phone at the same time.

Do you think this is a setup issue at the Tesco end (I've only recently joined them and speed has been issue since the start) or something to do with the way I have the ADSL modem connected to the line?

I have an ADSL microfilter on the line with the phone and the ADSL modem connected to it.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:42:44
Print Post

Re: Speed issues with Tesco.net broadband

[re: hj02476] [link to this post]

Post your router stats with and w/out using phone.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User hj02476
(newbie) Thu 05-Apr-12 19:45:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry how do I get those?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Apr-12 21:17:36
Print Post

How to get your router line stats

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User hj02476
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 15:23:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ok, I'm struggling to get the stats as it's actually my neighbour who has the problem and she is away for a week's holiday.

Do you have any suggestions on what it might be? (I've told her to talk to Tesco but she's not very technically minded).

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 06-Apr-12 15:27:20
Print Post

Tesco.net being slow isn't a big shock in itself, I get several times faster speed tests than a tesco user up the road (who is closer to the exchange and has a similar sync speed).

Taking the phone off the hook can improve some types of line fault, as it draws extra current through the line and joints. If this is going to have an effect it should show up in the sync speed increasing on the modem/router, hence allowing a faster throughput (if everything else keeps pace).

So to go further we need to know if the modem speed changes when the phone is off the hook, or some further clarification of what exactly happens when the phone is off.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User hj02476
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 15:40:15
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

The speed of the connection seems to improve by a factor of 10 or more. For example, if you were looking at Google Maps it would be incredibly slow when trying to download the satellite images. Pickup the phone and dial your voicemail and the broadband connection flies up to a very acceptable speed and the images appear with almost no lag. Hang up the phone and the connection slows down again.

I'll see if she can get Tesco to test her line. They've already done some tinkering at their end to improve the speed a little. She's paying for broadband and was getting worse than dial-up speeds before they did the tinkering.
  Print Thread

Jump to