My only problem with this is that it seems to increase latency on Xbox Live.
As some of you may know I had my socket replaced with an NTE5 in August in the hope of getting a bit more speed/stability out of the line.
Openreach came, fitted the socket and tested the line (I was at work at the time but one of my folks were here and the engineer said the line was 'pure')
For the last 3 and a bit years I'd run a Netgear DG834G v4 running stock firmware on the line and a few weeks before the socket was replaced I'd replaced the microfilter with an ADSL Nation pro one and also one of their twisted pair RJ-11 leads.
All my PC kit (including the router PSU) is connected to a surge protector but the filter is directly connected to the phone socket.
After the Openreach visit I was getting over 3 meg which is better than anything I'd had before.
This was all fine until around February, I bought a couple of homeplug adapters to link my xbox to the 'net to do a bit of gaming (the router is in the hallway under the computer desk and the xbox is in the sitting room under my TV just above a freesat PVR)
connected the adapters and ethernet leads, tested the xbox connection and all worked ok.
I activated a gold subscription scratch card I'd had waiting and set about doing a bit of gaming as I'd boght Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12.
I'd also enabled cloud storage as we have a networked xbox at work which myself and colleagues often use on lunchbreaks as we bring our own games in.
Part way through a round one everning it dropped out and returned me to the title screen as connection had been lost with xbox live and also the server based storage.
I went to the PC and checked and found it had indeed resynched.
It was unfortunate but I thought 'oh well these things happen'
Tried again the following afternoon and it did it again, again it had resynched.
On the Monday rang Zen from work and told them what had happened, they ran some checks and said 'Since the beginning of February your connection has been reconnecting up to 10 times a day, can you try a different router?'
I have a BT 2700 HGV which I bought but I don't like using permanently as I know BT can and do update the software remotely.
I put it on the connection and left it for about 24 hours and then rang Zen who said they'd only seen one reconnection in the early hours of the morning.
Left it another couple of days and it had been constantly connected apart from when I'd put my original filter and cable back to test it which of course causes a reconnection.
Rang Zen and they confirmed it had been pretty much rock solid.
Decided to look for a new broadcom based router and found the Zoom Telephonics X7 which also had IPv6 support.
Ordered it and it arrived.
Connected it and the auto detection failed so ended up mainly configuring it but it took some persuading to connect at all, a few power cycles were required but it did eventually connect,
I left it alone and went and had my evening meal, came back a little later to use the PC and found browsing the web sluggish.
I checked the router and found lots of intrusion detection messages.
Switched it off for an hour and went to watch some TV then came back, switched it back on and found I could browse the web.
ran a Shields Up scan and found that while most ports were closed it was responding that they were closed whereas my previous Netgear didn't respond to probes at all.
I left it and came home the next night and again the web was unusable, checked again and found the router was being slammed by probes.
At this point I decided to send it back as could find no detail on stealthing the ports.
Went to PC World and picked up a DGN2200 v1.
Plugged it in and ran the autodetection and to my surprise it picked up the connection as PPPoE, I thought this was wrong so did a maanual config but it wouldn't connect as PPPoA.
I reset it and left it as PPPoE for a day or so but was told on this forum it would cause issues with speed.
After recongiguring it and a few power cycles it connected as PPPoA but then found it was losing PPP on a regular basis so went back to Zen although I knew there were some maintainence outages.
They suggested replacing the filter and RJ-11 cable before they would call Openreach because of the 240 quid charge if no fault was found.
Without touching the router's software I replaced the twisted pair cable and AN filter with the ones that came with the Netgear.
checked the router's interface and sync speed had dropped from 3904 to 3000 Kbps.
Ran a TBB test (I forgot to log in) and throughput was 120 Kbps.
tried a power cycle but that didn't work, it took a few attempts to run a BT speedtest but that confirmed that it was 120 Kbps and was showing as Red.
I thought I should try a factory reset just in case, did this and allowed it to detect as PPPoE, sync went back up to 3808 Kbps and throughput up to 3161 Kbps.
A ping or tracert shows that latency has increased to 19 or 20 ms (from 13 ms) and when I was watching a full screen video on XBL it was buffering which it didn't do before but the connection has been solid for the past 2.5 days.
Apologies for the long post but wanted to give you a full history.
I think there's something not quite right here but if BT come out I know they'll say there's no fault and slap me with a 240 quid charge.
Is there something I need to report to Zen or ask them to do.
I'd really like the lower latency back if I can.
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.