Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User No_One
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-12 15:31:14
Print Post

Phone cuts off DSL

[link to this post]

Here's a strange problem. For the past couple of days, whenever I pick up the phone (both incoming and outgoing calls) my router disconnects. During the call it will re-sync, then when I put the phone down it disconnects again. I've tried at the test socket using different filters, handsets and my old router. Every time it's the same result. I've had my ISP (Zen) do a line test which showed no faults. Has anyone ever come across this before?

My line stats reported by my Billion 7800N are:

Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1156
Downstream 14691
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 10.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 26.5
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 22-Apr-12 16:19:02
Print Post

Re: Phone cuts off DSL

[re: No_One] [link to this post]

Most likely a High Resistance Fault (HR Disconnect)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-12 16:27:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by No_One:
Here's a strange problem. For the past couple of days, whenever I pick up the phone (both incoming and outgoing calls) my router disconnects. During the call it will re-sync, then when I put the phone down it disconnects again. I've tried at the test socket using different filters, handsets and my old router. Every time it's the same result. I've had my ISP (Zen) do a line test which showed no faults. Has anyone ever come across this before?

My line stats reported by my Billion 7800N are:

Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1156
Downstream 14691
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 10.4
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 26.5
Have you done the quite test ?

With a corded telephone plugged into the test socket (behind the faceplate) dial 17070 Option 2 and listen, (if phone has secrecy button use it or cover mouthpiece on handset, to avoid inducing background noise )

The line should be silent apart from the recorded voice announcement saying quiet line test , if you are able to hear crackling pops or other odd sounds then you could have a voice fault , if this is apparent most of of the time then you should be reasonably safe from getting charged by bt , as the engineer stands a good chance of hearing /finding it

If no noises are heard after repeating this a few times over say a 24 hrs window, then it could be the internal wiring /extensions if you have them, or something that is plugged into them such as a sky box , to test for this

With the faceplate removed plug router and phone (via filter) into test socket and see test to see if it still happens or not , if it does you could try new filter,adsl lead to router,if possible a different router,&phone after which you can be reasonably sure it's not anything of yours that is causing this
if no noises on the line, and you have demonstrated that it's not anything your side of the master socket then there should be no issues with zen requesting openreach investigate by sending a broadband engineer out Yopu could ask zen tech support if they have access to the new CIDT (Copper Integrated Demand Testing) as most exchanges should be enabled for it by now ,

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 22-Apr-12 16:30:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User No_One
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-12 18:44:00
Print Post

Re: Phone cuts off DSL - UPDATE

While clearing out a cupboard I found 2 more unopened filters. I've replaced 2 or the existing ones with these and when those phones are used the connection remains solid. I'll see how things go for now. I may go out and get some replacement filters for the rest of the house this week if I have any more problems
Standard User craggs
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 03:12:42
Print Post

I've just had this problem sorted out, doing a quite line test shown no noise with just a plug in phone in.
the noise came from when i had it in a Filter plugged in and router, whilst router connected do quite line test if you hear a hiss, and then it goes after pulling the router lead out its hr, whilst still on the phone plug modem back in check if you can hear it negotiating, like old dial up.

if you can it's either filters, router or what i had hr,, mine was fixed it was a corroded connection at the pole outside my house.now it's been fixed my attenuation has dropped and I've gained 2mb extra down.

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium
Standard User terrencemorgan
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 16:40:40
Print Post

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craggs:
I've just had this problem sorted out, doing a quite line test shown no noise with just a plug in phone in.
the noise came from when i had it in a Filter plugged in and router, whilst router connected do quite line test if you hear a hiss, and then it goes after pulling the router lead out its hr, whilst still on the phone plug modem back in check if you can hear it negotiating, like old dial up.

if you can it's either filters, router or what i had hr,, mine was fixed it was a corroded connection at the pole outside my house.now it's been fixed my attenuation has dropped and I've gained 2mb extra down.

Hi, I've been having the same problem. Who did you call to fix it? Was it a voice engineer called out thru BT or a broadband engineer called out thru your ISP?
Interested to know as I'm trying to avoid a £200 charge if I call the wrong engineer out!
Thanks.
Standard User craggs
(committed) Sun 06-May-12 16:56:02
Print Post

[re: terrencemorgan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by terrencemorgan:
In reply to a post by craggs:

Hi, I've been having the same problem. Who did you call to fix it? Was it a voice engineer called out thru BT or a broadband engineer called out thru your ISP?
Interested to know as I'm trying to avoid a £200 charge if I call the wrong engineer out!
Thanks.

I called my isp,,i was sent out an SFI engineer,,if you can hear noise on the line with just the phone plugged in,I would report that to BT,I couldn't hear it you see with just the phone plugged in only with the router plugged in and connected up,also outgoing and incoming calls started to disco the router but not at first..It took 3x 2 hour visits to sort mine out.

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 17:00:24
Print Post

Unplug all ADSL kit, and then test at the test socket. If you can hear noise call out via voice line rental people.

If quiet plug the ADSL filter in, and try phone, if noise filter is broke. If quiet plug ADSL modem in, if noisy try another router if still noisy report via broadband provider

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User terrencemorgan
(newbie) Sun 06-May-12 20:19:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Unplug all ADSL kit, and then test at the test socket. If you can hear noise call out via voice line rental people.

If quiet plug the ADSL filter in, and try phone, if noise filter is broke. If quiet plug ADSL modem in, if noisy try another router if still noisy report via broadband provider

Thanks for the help.
I'm almost certain I've got a High Resistance fault on my line (I can hear it on the phone when the modem syncs with the exchange, loss of sync when making or receiving calls, noise on line only when BB enabled etc.)
Does anyone know if my ISP (Entanet reseller Freeola) supports CIDT (Copper Integrated Demand Testing) as this test is supposed to be very good at detecting HR faults.
I'll phone Freeola on Monday or Tuesday to get this sorted out and let you know what happens.
Thanks again.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-May-12 10:55:16
Print Post

I seem to have had most faults over the years with my delicate overhead line which passes through a lot of trees frown

Like you I'm also with Freeola. Just make sure the fault is the same when directly plugged into the TEST socket which will show if the problem is on BT's 'side' and if you have a spare router give that a try as well just to make sure!

Freeola/Entanet were able to run tests for me in the past which showed a damaged line causing a HR fault. I'm not aware if they call this CIDT or not though. One of the tests they ran was with everything unplugged at my end which still showed as a fault when they ran the test.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to