Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hobble
(newbie) Mon 07-May-12 20:54:24
Print Post

256k Broadband 4 days after switch - Is this right !

[link to this post]

Hi, wondered if anyone can tell me if this is normal and I should just be patient, or is there something wrong:

I had been with Orange and had a very reliable bb connection at 4.6 Meg. I switched to BT in order to have a Business line (broadband and phone) linked with my company's account and to upgrade to approx 14-15 Meg. The switchover happened last Thursday, the Orange connection went down about 1pm and after late night conversations with BT technical helpline I swapped my good ol' reliable Linksys (which wouldn't authenticate) for a BT Business Hub which they'd sent a year ago (don't ask - long story). The BT hub authenticated, but the connection speed was incredibly slow (260Kbps downstream / 373Kbps upstream - using Thinkbroadband speedtest). A couple of calls to BT haven't produced anything other than "it will fluctuate during the 10 day stabilisation period, but should start to increase after about 48 hours".
Having tested it obsessively during Friday it did "fluctuate" but only between 253Kbps and 264Kbps. I have rebooted the hub several times (rightly or wrongly) and now have it plugged into the test socket.
On Saturday I started collecting info from the hub admin status page, hopefully some of this will be useful:

Saturday in normal socket - with other phones fax etc connected
Rate: 6244 kbs (Down) / 444 kbs (Up)
Max Rate: 11509 kbs / 876 kbs
Noise Margin: 6.0 dB / 27.5 dB
Attenuation: 23.8 dB / 11.7 dB
Output Power: 14.5 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Rate Cap: 11509 kbs
Uncanceled Echo: -19.9 dB
VCXO Freq. Offset: -56.3 ppm
Final Rcv Gain: 25.9 dB

Today (Monday) in test socket - nothing else connected
Rate: 6925 kbs (Down) / 444 kbs (Up)
Max Rate: 15573 kbs / 876 kbs
Noise Margin: 10.3 dB / 27.5 dB
Attenuation: 22.8 dB / 11.4 dB
Output Power: 12.1 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Rate Cap: 15573 kbs
Uncanceled Echo: -19.2 dB
VCXO Freq. Offset: -55.6 ppm
Final Rcv Gain: 26.4 dB

Today the Thinkbroadband speedtest is still around 260 Kbps, is that supposed to relate in anyway to the BT Hub figure for "Rate" of 6925 kbs ?
The reality is that watching images on a webpage build up slowly is very reminiscent of the old 256k modems. It's now 100 hours since switching to BT for a faster connection and I'm only getting 1/16th of what I had before !
Will it suddenly change on day 10 ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-May-12 22:02:16
Print Post

Re: 256k Broadband 4 days after switch - Is this right !

[re: hobble] [link to this post]

Pretty much you should go at full speed on day 1, and only slow down if the service proves unstable.

The figures from the modem are better when using the test socket, which suggests that the BT systems may have seen a problem very early on, and banded your speed to a lower level Around the 6 Meg mark.

So first, sort out the wiring, have you seen about removing the ring wire to improve speeds, and then adding devices one by one to spot if any one device has a bad effect.

Also wander over to www.speedtester.bt.com to find out what your IP profile is, and tell us what it is, and we will explain some more.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hobble
(newbie) Mon 07-May-12 22:39:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Did BT Speedtest just:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.11 Mbps

Yes, I saw about the ring wire, will have a go at that tomorrow hopefully.

Is it important to keep the router in the test socket for the 10 days, to get the maximum, or will would it adjust up / down later anyway ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-May-12 22:44:53
Print Post

The service continues to adjust and change throughout its life. Switching off/on many times in an hour is defintely to be avoided

IP Profile matches your connection speed as its stands, so support should be able to see this and thus query why your throughput is so low. If they cannot handle this on a business service, then its not worth the money you pay.

Looks like a banded profile has been applied at a guess, bsed on the acceptable range of speeds, when the modem when connecting to the test socket is saying 15 Meg is possible.

Get the line as stable as you can, and then insist on a reset of the training, and this may resolve the various problems, if support do not sort it out themselves

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hobble
(newbie) Tue 08-May-12 23:49:25
Print Post

I had another long conversation with BT tech help, they ran several tests and ultimately concluded that they would need to send an engineer out. However they won't do that until after the 10 day stabilisation period, because they "don't want to do anything that might make it worse". So I need to wait until next week now. They did advise keeping the hub connected to the test socket until then, with a phone in the same filter, so at least we can make calls.
A 256k internet connection and one phone in the house, it's just like the good old days wink
If I can get any details of what the engineer does when he/she comes next week, I'll post it for reference

Thanks Mr Saffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 00:10:54
Print Post

The only way the engineer will fix the IP profile is by reporting that as the issue up the chain.

Epic fail from BT support

Standard User hobble
(newbie) Wed 16-May-12 19:59:08
Print Post

Engineer came today (day 14), tested the line, which was excellent, then pointed out that the connection had been "capped" at 288k. (I am curious as to whether this was anything to do with the router I had been trying to use initially, which wouldn't authenticate ?). Anyway after removing the "cap" the downstream jumped up to around 14 Meg. He said they could have done this without a visit, however it did mean that I got the faceplate changed to the new version and he was able to check that my internal wiring wasn't causing any trouble. He also tested the speed with the "ring" wire disconnected; it didn't make much difference in my case, but he agreed that it often does.
So, switch to BT Business Broadband and you too could effectively lose your internet connection for 2 weeks, I'm not bitter, it's not like I had a business to run or anything (/sarc), but at least it's all sorted now, I've even got the TV hooked up !
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-May-12 08:55:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The only way the engineer will fix the IP profile is by reporting that as the issue up the chain.

Epic fail from BT support
Epic indeed. Based on the OP's last reply I'd half expect him to be billed for it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
  Print Thread

Jump to