Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 14:34:00
Print Post

Old pc affect FTTC speeds?

[link to this post]

Good day everyone. This may seem like a silly question...I am looking at getting fibre broadband, probably Infinity, in the next few months. My pc is pretty old, about seven years old and runs Windows xp. Is there any chance that my old pc will affect the FTTC speed I get, especially during the initial installation period? Looking at a new pc around September. Thanks for listening.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 20-May-12 15:22:03
Print Post

Re: Old pc affect FTTC speeds?

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

The PC will NOT affect the speed received. And provided your Ethernet card is 100Mb then you should get full speed to the PC. If the PC has an 802.11b wireless interface, whilst your hub will be able to receive full speed the link to the PC will be limited.

I have a 6 year old XP laptop which is perfectly capable of getting 1Gbps on the network ... so don't worry about yours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:06:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

MHC - thanks for the response. Much obliged. It's just that I had read some posts where people were saying their speed test results were lower with an older pc than a newer one. My concern was that the line would sync at a lower speed than it's capable of because of the computer. Didn't want my new pc suffering with a slower connection because of the old one!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-May-12 17:12:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by giggsy1977:
My concern was that the line would sync at a lower speed than it's capable of because of the computer.

Don't worry, that won't happen. The BT Openreach modem manages the connection speed (along with the equipment in the local cabinet). Your computer has nothing to do with the line connection speed.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 80Mbps
UL Sync 20Mbps
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 17:58:50
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

MHC and Ade - thanks for your replies, you've put my mind at ease! Just waiting to see how much aluminum there is in the cables now! Hopefully not much! Only 350m from cabinet, but currently only get 1.5m at the moment!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 20-May-12 22:22:12
Print Post

A PC cannot affect the sync speed, where an old PC can struggle is running flash and java at say 80 Mbps, or if streaming say a 10 Mbps HD video stream and the video card cannot render the frames, but this has no bearing on the sync speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User giggsy1977
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 23:21:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Mr Saffron - nice name btw! Thanks for further clarification. Can start looking forward to it now! Esp when got new pc hooked up to it - current one is very slow.
Standard User Carbis
(newbie) Tue 26-Jun-12 17:31:12
Print Post

I might be a bit late with my answer, but I upgraded yesterday to FTTC provided by Plusnet. My old line provided about 1.8Mbs and my new line tested as suitable up to 96Mbs (or something in that region!). The changeover went well but my laptop (XP) achived 7Mbs (speedtest.net) which was fantastic, but a little below expectation! I tried other family laptops and they were all at 20Mbs plus.... Mine used XP pro and the others used Win 7, so I researched the issue further.
I found a reference which indicated XP didn't cope well with optimising wifi parameters for higher speeds and a program TCPOptimiser was recommended to configure XP.
I was a little dubious, but further searching did not indicate any concerns, so it was installed and set to 'optimise'. Finger crossed.....
Well I now have 24Mbs dn 1.5Mbs up.
I have no connection with the program designers/manufaters etc., and there may be others to examine, but it did seem to work, so an 'old' PC may affect what you can achieve via the wifi.

Let us know what speeds you get with your fttc.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 26-Jun-12 18:13:36
Print Post

[re: Carbis] [link to this post]

With a connection capable of 96Mbps, 24 is well below expectations.

If you are on a 40Mbps connection then I would expect to see a minimum of 35Mbps and with an 80Mbps connection, the high 70's.

I use an old XP laptop and can it easily deals with 100Mbps where available - last year I had access to a profile 30 connection which gave test results of over 90Mbps.

You need to investigate why your connection speed is so low.

And by the way the abbreviation for te speed is either Mbps or Mb/s NOT Mbs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Jun-12 19:10:00
Print Post

[re: Carbis] [link to this post]

Wireless is your problem not the age of your PC. And neither are concerned with the sync speed which is determined entirely by your
router independent of all your devices.

You should check your wireless channel is separated from your neighbours' using inSSIDer

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to