Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zippothegreat
(newbie) Sun 20-May-12 18:29:31
Print Post

BT cables - how deep (roughly) are they in ground??

[link to this post]

Bored waiting for Orange / BT to carry on NOT solving an issue, so wondered if anyone knows roughly how deep the cables are, in the ground, from a standard in path DP BT cable bunker?

The main cable on the property we are trying to solve this on, is about 3ft away from the mud/grass and in turn runs about 25-30ft to the DP...

Anyone know (roughly) how deep?
Standard User chris6273
(member) Sun 20-May-12 18:40:43
Print Post

Re: BT cables - how deep (roughly) are they in ground??

[re: zippothegreat] [link to this post]

About 6 months ago we hit the incoming underground cable for our property while gardening at about 2-3 feet. In the Ducts it could be a bit deeper but check around for BT duct photos where you see the cables going into the holes in the sides.

Here is one for example (One of the holes is just beneath the big black Fibre box):

http://www.farina1.com/fibre/wgc_media/source/IMG_44...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 24276 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.5 db 6.4 db
Noise Margin: 1.1 db 6.2 db

Edited by chris6273 (Sun 20-May-12 18:43:36)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 19:37:56
Print Post

They should be at least 350mm if under a road/hard surface and at least 450mm if under soft surface.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 21:20:16
Print Post

12 to 18 inches and even deeper . Watch out if the premises is late 60's to early 70's some of the direct in ground armoured cables can be little shallow.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-May-12 21:35:13
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
They should be at least 350mm if under a road/hard surface and at least 450mm if under soft surface.

I tripped over a VM cable coax on a London street smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-May-12 21:40:30
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

BT have also been known to just 'hang' cables in hedge rows.

Yes I've also seen VM cables just lying on the surface in peoples front gardens. I guess the engineer couldn't be bothered to dig a trench.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-May-12 21:53:04
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

this one popped out of a thing looking like a stop tap on the pavement, then went into a manky green spiral wound duct laid across the garden. Lovely.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Tue 22-May-12 09:58:54
Print Post

How deep are BT cable ducts? .... Obviously not deep enough to aviod getting smashed up by National Grid Gas contractors who were fitting a replacement Gas main in the street near me two weeks ago. They had to dig across the BT route but the surveyors had marked the location of the BT duct in their way .... So they put a dogleg in it to avoid the marking and just landed up smashing the clay duct pipe up a few metres to the left instead! duh!

So all the cables were left exposed for a week in the hole, then they just covered them over with soil rather than replacing the ducting.

My fibre cabinet now seems to be the only one that wasn't commissioned yesterday, so I'm wondering if they damaged the fibre due to their muppetry. grrr!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-May-12 10:05:50
Print Post

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
How deep are BT cable ducts? .... Obviously not deep enough to aviod getting smashed up by National Grid Gas contractors who were fitting a replacement Gas main in the street near me two weeks ago. They had to dig across the BT route but the surveyors had marked the location of the BT duct in their way .... So they put a dogleg in it to avoid the marking and just landed up smashing the clay duct pipe up a few metres to the left instead! duh!

So all the cables were left exposed for a week in the hole, then they just covered them over with soil rather than replacing the ducting.

My fibre cabinet now seems to be the only one that wasn't commissioned yesterday, so I'm wondering if they damaged the fibre due to their muppetry. grrr!

That is about right for some contractors.

Can I suggest you actually call teh BT Network Protection or Dial Before You Dig team:
http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/our-networ...

They will be most interested to hear about it as it will be a major problem if there is a repair needed or your fibre needs replacing.

I did it myself - with pictures a few years back ... the contractor denied everything but BT had the evidence and he was billed for the costs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Colin_London
(regular) Tue 22-May-12 11:12:20
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I just dropped them an email so I feel that I have done my civic duty! They hadn't tarmaced the trench this morning so it would still be possible to uncover the damage with a shovel. The contractors may of course have made good before they covered it over......
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to