Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Valo
(newbie) Thu 24-May-12 17:57:03
Print Post

BT Master Socket and BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I'd like some advice on how likely I am to be able to get Infinity installed in my flat. I attempted once before to get it but had an installation problem due to BT apparently being unable to relocate my master socket for some reason which was never fully explained to me. This lead to me to cancel my planned migration and continue with my ADSL2 connection with O2.

I can't make any sense of the wiring so any help would be great. This is how it's been left by the builders of my development of flats seven years ago.

My BT Master socket is located in my fuse cupboard by my front door as pictured below.

BT Master Socket

This is what is inside the double gang socket above the BT Master socket covered by the blanking plate. The dark grey cable runs into the BT Master socket as pictured below. I'm assuming the lighter grey CAT5 cables are the other phone extension points from around the flat. The extension points I have are 2x Livingroom/1x Master bedroom/1x Single Bedroom/1x Hallway. The black cable at the top of the picture is the TV Aerial join.

Wires

This is the inside of the BT Master Socket.

Inside BT Master Socket

I want ideally to move the master socket to my single bedroom as thatís were my I have my office and my current ADSL router is setup. I also don't want to lose the use of any of the extension sockets either.

Anyone able to help me out with some advice?
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Thu 24-May-12 19:05:19
Print Post

Re: BT Master Socket and BT Infinity

[re: Valo] [link to this post]

Why would you want to move the master socket?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-May-12 19:40:54
Print Post

Firstly you could have the Infinity modem at the master socket and the router in your preferred location, with Cat5 between.

The master socket faceplate / extension wiring looks like a bodge job - 2 and 5 are a pair so should be the two orange / white with the blue on 3 for ring (unconventional use of colours, but split pairs a bigger issue).

Wires at the back of the master are incoming line, one of the pairs will be connected at the back of the master socket (behind the bit you didn't unscrew). Does the cable that connects to the faceplate (the grey one) go into the adjacent double socket thing ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Valo
(newbie) Thu 24-May-12 20:52:48
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
Why would you want to move the master socket?

It's in my fuse cupboard by my front door. All of my computers and current router are in the single bedroom I use as my study. The current router connects to an extension phone point in there.

I don't have a power socket in the fuse cupboard to run the modem and I don't want to run CAT5 cable around four door frames in my hall to my study.
Standard User Valo
(newbie) Thu 24-May-12 21:11:23
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Firstly you could have the Infinity modem at the master socket and the router in your preferred location, with Cat5 between.

The master socket faceplate / extension wiring looks like a bodge job - 2 and 5 are a pair so should be the two orange / white with the blue on 3 for ring (unconventional use of colours, but split pairs a bigger issue).

Wires at the back of the master are incoming line, one of the pairs will be connected at the back of the master socket (behind the bit you didn't unscrew). Does the cable that connects to the faceplate (the grey one) go into the adjacent double socket thing ?

I don't have a power socket in the fuse cupboard to run the modem and I don't really want to run CAT5 cable around four door frames in my hall to my study.

I had a feeling it was a bit of a bodge job. Yes the grey cable from the BT Master socket goes into the double socket above and is twisted together with the other wires.

Pic here - Wires in Double Socket Behind Blanking Plate

I have attempted to get Infinity installed once before last year. However when the Openreach engineer attempted the install I was told it wasn't possible to relocate the master socket to the room I use as an office where I wanted infinity installed. Instead he told me the only option I had was to run a massive extension from the hall cupboard to my study around the door frames which isn't an option. I'm not sure though if he looked at all the wiring.

This lead to a botched migration and I had to re-order my ADSL service from O2 as they couldn't undo my proposed migration to BT and I was without service for about a week.......something I don't want to repeat.

Any ideas how I could go about getting this looked at and if put right without spending a fortune? Do you think itís possible to move the master socket to where I need it?

Thanks for replying.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-May-12 22:14:57
Print Post

The internal wiring you show a picture of behind the blanking plate, ...... what a pile of do-do.

I'd be sure you could squeeze a fair bit more from your existing ADSL service just by sorting that ka-ka out.

The (to be frowned on, but it works) method, would be to push the incoming pair to the existing extension socket, where required, bypassing the current NTE. Then 'back end' a pair ( send a pair back through the same cable, it'll be OK, it's cat 5) to liven up the other extensions.

What you need is an engineer with a Scooby-Do.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-May-12 22:25:18
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The internal wiring you show a picture of behind the blanking plate, ...... what a pile of do-do.

I'd be sure you could squeeze a fair bit more from your existing ADSL service just by sorting that ka-ka out.

The (to be frowned on, but it works) method, would be to push the incoming pair to the existing extension socket, where required, bypassing the current NTE. Then 'back end' a pair ( send a pair back through the same cable, it'll be OK, it's cat 5) to liven up the other extensions.

What you need is an engineer with a Scooby-Do.
Surely that master wasn't put there by Openreach ? Mains power in close proximity do not bode well for ADSL in particular ADSL2+ , I would have relocated it, Via Openreach or myself , All i would need a a couple of gel crimps a run of the same spec solid copper twisted pair cable ,3 pairs it think openreach use , and some cable clips to secure to the wall outside

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-May-12 22:39:21
Print Post

Not sure why you need to run a Cat 5 cable if they are already in the wall ? But anyway...

Like Zarjaz says there's enough wires there to do what you want, it's a matter of persuasion or ingenuity on the part of the engineer.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 24-May-12 23:03:18
Print Post

Why not be a cowboy - just like the ones who wired the phone extensions! All you need to do it cut into a cable from teh CU, tape on an extra cable, connect a socket at the end and there you have it!. YES - I AM ONLY JOKING but that install is a real mess.

Why not get a power socket installed there and fit the modem. Then use one of the Cat5e cables to feed the WAN output to the hub?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Fri 25-May-12 00:34:36
Print Post

Given the option of running 1 Ethernet cable or 4-5 phone cables, I know which one I'd pick...

The Ethernet cable can be used to supply power. There's no need for a power socket in the cupboard.

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Fri 25-May-12 00:35:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to