Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-12 11:12:43
Print Post

Billion 7800 and DMT

[link to this post]

Have just updated the firmware of my new Billion 7800 router (wired version) to v.1.06f. The router and the connection to the exchange is all working fine, and I must say I'm mightely impressed with the performance of this device.

I was led to believe that the utility DMT could be used with the 7800 or 7800N, and knowing that DMT could give me a few more bits of info about the connection, like Interleaved/Fast and error statistics, I used the link at the Billion forum to obtain the requisite version of DMT. I've now run the file but the utility won't start. Could it be that this customised DMT will work only with the wireless version of the 7800?

When I press Connect in the DMT GUI, it tries but then gives me:

Error - cannot identify modem type. DMT Version 8.07 for BCM 6338/6348/6358 (adslctl).

I'm reasonably familiar with DMT, since I've used it before with other Broadcom routers, so I'm fairly sure I've configured it OK, but is there anything in particular about DMT's configuring that I should be careful about, to ensure that it runs? Should, for example, Disable Pingcheck be selected, and should DMT Server also be selected?

Unless I'm just unlucky and it won't work with this wired version of the 7800, I guess there must be a configuration setting that isn't quite right, but I'm blowed if I can spot it.

Anyone familiar with this?

PS. Is there possibly something in the 7800's GUI that I've configured (or not configured) which is perhaps now preventing DMT from accessing the router? I'm presuming Port 23 should be used.

In DMT, I've found some settings in Automatic DSL Monitoring/Konfiguration button that I've never noticed before. Should DMT run on startup without Automat being configured?

Edited by meditator (Fri 25-May-12 11:52:54)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-May-12 20:01:18
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800 and DMT

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

The Billion 7800 only allows one telnet connection per session. I get this error when Routerstats is running and I try to start the DMT app. When I close Routerstats DMT works fine. Port 23 check also you have the correct username and password.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-May-12 11:06:51
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I'm not running any other telnetting or monitoring utility in the background, though I did originally have an untweaked v.8.07 of DMT on my PC. I've now deleted that. As you may know, DMT itself isn't a permanently-installed piece of software.

Yeh, it's set up to work on Port 23 and my username and password are the same as I use to get into the router's GUI.

Telnetting into the router from a command prompt or from my browser is fine, so I guess the problem is either down to a configuration setting in DMT or is down to a setting in my router's GUI (where there's plenty of scope for errors/misunderstandings).

In the Configuration button of DMT at the bottom there are some settings called DMT Automat. I can't recall whether these have to be completed before DMT will run. Do you happen to know? I've tried briefly but it didn't seem to make any difference. Also, there's a configuration for DMT Server and I can't recall whether that should be enabled, either. It's years since I last dealt with DMT's settings.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-May-12 12:44:24
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In the Configuration button of DMT at the bottom there are some settings called DMT Automat. I can't recall whether these have to be completed before DMT will run. Do you happen to know? I've tried briefly but it didn't seem to make any difference. Also, there's a configuration for DMT Server and I can't recall whether that should be enabled, either. It's years since I last dealt with DMT's settings.

I downloaded DMT from the Billion forum and it ran out of the box. I have the wired version of the 7800 using 1.06g firmware and it works fine. I also have the other version of DMT for the Speedtouch and they dont seem to conflict. If I remember correctly I had to change the IP and password to get access. Use the debug command under the special menu to see what's going on in the debug window.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-May-12 16:01:03
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I too downloaded DMT from the Billion site but it was via a link to an independent publisher of it (not mhilfe). I felt uneasy about it.

I've found that if I try to activate the DMT server - and frankly I know nothing about that and whether it might be at all relevant to my DMT not working - my firewall steps in and temporarily blocks it. The firewall thinks that allowing an outward connection could be due to viral action. What's interesting is that it lists the publisher of DMT as "Interactive Bugs for the Masses". So, unless the publisher has a really strange sense of humour, it looks like the DMT download carries a virus.

I've no idea how to use that debug feature you've mentioned.

Edited by meditator (Sat 26-May-12 16:02:37)

Print Thread

Jump to