Technical Discussion
  >> Technical Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Minwar
(newbie) Wed 30-May-12 01:22:35
Print Post

Internet Sync Speeds.

[link to this post]

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum to be posting this. tongue

Basically, my issue is my internet is being very very slow.

My internet used to be fine, I had 13-14mbp/s download and 1mbp/s upload on speedtest.net and it rarely disconnected. I sadly do not know what the sync speeds were at this time since I didn't really know much about this until the issue began where I started reading.

A little bit of backstory, it all began slowly, about a month ago, initially my internet had disconnected randomly throughout the day, I did not mind too much, I just reconnected in a couple of minutes. Eventually I experienced reduced speeds, to around 2mbp/s, I shrugged it off, it was a bit of a nuisance but I was still able to continue using it with the slower speeds, but soon the disconnects became more frequent, and before it was if my BT phone rings, it would sometimes disconnect, sometimes it would not, but this issue changed after a while, as when the BT phone rang, it 100% disconnected the internet every time.

Eventually my sync speed dropped to 575 kbp/s which was when I started to resolve it as it was unbearable, and it dropped again recently to 287kbp/s. Now I've been reading around about sync speeds, SNR ratios and attenuation.. Basically the issue is only with my downstream sync speed, my upstream seems completely fine.

When I reached a 287kbp/s sync speed, I checked my noise margin and attenuation, and my attenuation has constantly been approximately 36dB. the noise margin is what caused this I feel. I originally dropped to 575kbp/s, with 6 noise margin and 36 attenuation. At this point I disconnected my BT phone and plugged the router directly into the master socket, which resulted in a noise margin of 26dB and the same attenuation of 36dB. The sync speed remained at 575kbp/s, but after approximately 4-5 days of waiting without my BT line I needed to plug it back in as I was missing too many phone calls.

I ended up plugging the BT phone back in, and my SNR went back down to 6dB, so I presumed it was the filter and ordered a new one. The next day my sync speed dropped to what it is at now, 287kbp/s..

I waited for my new filter to arrive, and with it it has and I no longer disconnect, it stayed online for 12 hours without any disconnects (longer than before), the internet does not disconnect when I recieve a phone call on the BT phone.

So that's promising, now my question is that my sync speed for downstream is still at 287kbp/s, my noise margin is 22dB and my attenuation is 36dB, and I've read around about stuck sync speeds, am I recieving the same issue?

I'm not entirely sure but as far as I understand, the router should obtain higher sync speeds and reduce the noise margin, to around 6, and it should fluctuate a little bit, but the IP profile has to update which can take up to 5 days.

Is there a problem that my noise margin stays the same and sync speed does not rise, or do I just have to wait a while longer before it will start adjusting? Is there anything I need to do such as phone my ISP and tell them to do anything?

This issue is only with my downstream as I think my upstream is perfectly fine, it fluctuates around 1200kb which is how much I should get as my package is 1mp/s upload. It has a noise margin of 6 and attenuation of 9.

If you require any additional info, please ask me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Minwar (Wed 30-May-12 03:38:28)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 30-May-12 07:04:04
Print Post

Re: Internet Sync Speeds.

[re: Minwar] [link to this post]

Please post your line stats.

Standard User Minwar
(newbie) Wed 30-May-12 07:23:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hm, new to this, where would I go about getting these line stats? I'm guessing it's from my router, I have a Belkin N wireless router if that helps anyone know where I can find these line stats?

EDIT: I think these would be the line stats? Correct me if I'm wrong..:

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
287Kb 1208Kb
Noise Margin
22 6
Output power(dBm)
124 182
Attenuation(dB)
36 9

Datarate
Downstream: 287KB
Upstream: 1208KB

Noise Margin
Downstream: 22
Upstream: 6

Output Power dBm
Downstream: 124
Upstream: 182

Attenuation(dB)
Downstream: 36
Upstream: 9

Edited by Minwar (Wed 30-May-12 07:47:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-12 10:11:08
Print Post

Can you restart the modem and grab the stats again as soon as internet access is running. Wanting to see what difference this makes

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Minwar
(newbie) Wed 30-May-12 10:11:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will do it now.

EDIT: Alrighty, so restarted my router, here are the stats again after restarting and internet connection is back up:

Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream
Data rate(Kbps)
287Kb 1167Kb
Noise Margin
22 6
Output power(dBm)
117 182
Attenuation(dB)
36 9

Data Rate
Downstream: 287Kb
Upstream: 1167Kb

Noise Margin
Downstream: 22
Upstream: 6

Output Power(dBm)
Downstream: 117
Upstream: 182

Attenuation(dB)
Downstream: 36
Upstream: 9

Edited by Minwar (Wed 30-May-12 10:18:33)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-May-12 10:31:15
Print Post

Another example of bad reporting from a modem!

I presume that you did a clean cut and paste on those figures and did not miss any decimal points.

117dBm >>>> 500 MW

182dBm >>>> 1600 TW

With error such as that , it make you consider the confidence level that can be applied to any stats from the device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Wed 30-May-12 10:32:49)

Standard User Minwar
(newbie) Wed 30-May-12 10:42:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah, it's a clean cut and paste, i've included an image of the stats area where I took this info from so you can see..

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/359/linestats.jpg

Is it a problem? Is my router to blame or something? crazy
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-May-12 10:48:22
Print Post

It is me going off on a slight tangent. The router software (firmware) produces the various stats and too often it is sloppily presented which always makes me wonder about the rest of the software and how well it has been tested or reviewed.

The figures could possibly be: 11.7 and 18.2 which convert to 15mW and 70mW (approximately). Just a decimal point but the difference is massive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-12 11:40:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The factor of ten issue is common on routers

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-May-12 11:42:03
Print Post

Which ISP is this with?

A 22dB noise margin just after a reboot is odd, and suggests that maybe their systems have spotted the instability you have and forced your speed down until it reached a stable level.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to